Chapter Six: The King's Decision

“Come on, Melanie, wake up!”

            “Yeah, it’s already eleven!”

            “Aw, jeez, just shut up, okay? I’m trying to watch a movie here.”

            I groaned and opened one eye. Who knew vampires could be so annoying? “Shut up, okay?! I’m already up!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. So what the neighbors hear me? Screw them.

            And with that, I opened another eye and got up from my bed, stretching. I picked up my jeans that was lying on a chair beside my bed and put it on. I slept only with my boxers and a blouse Xayranne lent me.

            I walked to the bathroom that was inside my room and washed my face. After, I trudged back to my bed and picked up my phone on the desk beside the table. I called Mom, Jasper and Amanda last night so they wouldn’t worry. This morning, I received a text from each of them, asking if I’m going home today.

            I sighed and replied, I don’t know.

            As I put down my phone on the desk, it began to ring. I checked the caller ID and realized it was Amanda. I smiled and pressed the Answer button. But before I could say some greetings or something, she snapped at me, “What do you mean you don’t know?”

            I frowned, obviously taken aback by her outburst. “Uh, it means that I don’t know…?”

            She sighed impatiently. “Melanie! You’re not like this! Between the Meyer sisters, I think Melissa is the more irresponsible. You’re the responsible one and here you are, away from home and not telling us where you are!”

            I sighed. “I’m sorry, okay? But it wasn’t my choice to be taken away and—.”

            “Wait, what? What do you mean it wasn’t your choice? Melanie, are you kidnapped?”

            I bit my lip. “No. Why would I hind something like that? You know me…”

            “Well, I thought I did. That was before you gone off without telling us.”

            I rolled my eyes. “You’re as bad as my Mother.”

            “Can you blame me? I’m your best friend.”

            I sighed. Okay, I’ll cut her some slack. She really is my best friend and I’ve left Chicago without telling anyone. I’ll never be nosy in the future. Or better yet, whenever I’ll see a wallet on the ground, I’ll just mind my own business and never bother it. Who knows some wallet on the ground might bring you to your grave?

            “I’m sorry, Amanda. I really am. But I can’t go now—well, at least I don’t know...”  

            She sighed. “Fine. Whatever. Call me later, okay? My Mom is leaving the hospital today and Jasper is keeping me company later. He’s got school now and I’m still in the hospital. He’s really worried about you, Mel. I think he really does like you.”

            “Um, he told me he loved me yesterday.”

            “SAY WHAT NOW?!” Amanda practically screamed at the phone.

            I winced but a smile was on my face. Amanda loves to gossip and talk about these things. But I wasn’t much of these things. As I said, I never had a serious boyfriend. The only guys I have interacted with my whole life are Jasper and my Dad. And maybe throw in some Garret and Flynn now.