A Family Problem

I was in the woods, just outside Edward Cullen's house. Seeing this location brought back a lot of memories for me. And they weren't all great. They weren't all horrible, either. I didn't want to go through the front door, so I went up to the second level instead. I came to a halt on a little patio. I entered the house and found Carlisle seated at his desk when I opened the door.

He raised his eyes from his paperwork on the top of his desk to look at me. I could tell he was taken aback when he saw me. I was overjoyed to see him.

"Layla," Carlisle said.

"Hello, Carlisle." I greeted.

Carlisle rose from his seat and approached me. With a short hug, we greeted each other.

"How have you been?" He asked. "Gosh, I can't believe you are here."

"I'm doing fine," I said. "But I have to say, I've been hearing a lot about Edward and his wife, Bella, recently. Do you want to go into further detail about the situation?"

Carlisle fell silent.

"What is it, Carlisle? What is going on here?"

Carlisle shifted his gaze to me. Something unusual was going on here, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

"Well, I can't say that things are exactly normal."

"When have they ever been?" I chuckled.

"Bella is pregnant with Edward's child," Carlisle summarized.

My pupils dilated. There is no way a vampire could ever have a child. Hearing this, though, simply made me doubt that fact.

"How is that possible?"

"To be honest, I am not sure."

So many thoughts were racing through my mind at the time. Bella can't possibly be pregnant with Edward's child.

"How is she?" I added. "How is Bella?"

Carlisle took a breather. This just served to exacerbate the suspension.

"Layla, things aren't looking good. Bella is having a hard time with her pregnancy. Not only that, but a neighboring wolf pack is making everything even more problematic. They intend to murder Bella and the child." He informed.

I heard slow footsteps approaching from the hall at that very moment. When I glanced around, I noticed a thin pregnant woman off in the distance. Seeing someone like that hurt my heart. It was like though I were gazing at Holocaust photographs. It was obvious that it was Bella. I took a quick glance at the door and mentally closed it.

I turned my head back to Carlisle.

"Was that her?" I asked.

"Yes," Carlisle responded.

I softly rubbed my brow as I closed my eyes. I had a feeling this situation wasn't going to turn out well.

"What can I do to help?"

"At this moment, nothing. There is nothing we can do for Bella. It is up to her now." Carlisle answered.

"Do you think she will survive?"

"I don't know, but I think her odds are good."

It was painful to hear this. The Cullen's were in problems, but Edward, in particular, was in trouble, as was Bella. They had become my family. They were my only remaining possessions in this planet and in my life. What am I supposed to do now to assist them?

"If there is anything I can do, Carlisle, please don't hesitate." I offered.

Before I walked out the patio door, Carlisle gave me a short hug goodbye. I landed on the earth and walked away from the Cullen house, my family's home.