It's Happening

In Italy  

Aro, Caius, and Marcus were all tending to certain matters when Demetri walked into the throne room. Caius and Marcus lowered the papers and set them down, but Aro kept looking at the papers in his hands.

"My masters, I have news about the scout," Demetri informed.

Aro looked up from the papers and gave Demetri his attention.

"Go on." Caius encouraged.

"The scout has not returned and no word of him has been spoken of," Demetri explained.

Aro clenched the paper cup in his hand as if he didn't know the paper was there. He shot up out of his chair and ordered, "prepare everyone, it's time for the Cullen's consequences to be paid in full."

***

In Forks, Washington

Layla's POV:

I was at home, in the nursery, writing letters for the twins as I watched after them. I have written so many letters and as I wrote each word, my heartaches with pain. As I wrote the final letter, Alice burst into the room. I looked over at her. Her face had so much fear and concern on it. I suspected that it was the Volturi, so I dropped the pencil, folded the piece of paper, and sealed it in an envelope.

"It's the Volturi, isn't it."

Alice nodded her head, confirming my worst fear.

"I guess it is time for us to prepare then," I said.

Alice took Landon in her arms while I grabbed Charlize. We walked downstairs and went out into the garage. I unlocked my Ford Explorer, so Alice and I could load the kids into the backseats. Once they were safely strapped into their car seats, Alice hopped into her car and I sat in the driver's seat. I started the car and backed out of the garage, closing the garage door once I was out. I drove behind Alice, as we headed over to Carlisle's house.

My phone started to ring, so I answered it with the Bluetooth sync device.

"Hello," I answered.

"Layla, where are you?" Seth began. "Are the twins with you?"

"Seth! You have to go to Carlisle's house now! I have the twins and I will explain everything when you get there."

"Okay, I'll be there soon."

"Oh and one more thing!" I added. "Grab the black backpack in the nursery and my clothes that are in the top drawer of my dresser."

"Alright, I will do that too." Seth chuckled, before he hung up the phone.