A Mother's Goodbye

Layla's POV: 

It has been a month since the twins were born, and now it is my time to leave. I was not happy today. In fact, I was overwhelmed with sadness and anger. Seth left early this morning to be with his pack, leaving me alone with the twins. It is the perfect time for me to leave without anyone knowing. I wrote a letter for Seth and placed it on the nightstand, in the master bedroom that way he can find it.

 I wrote a letter for Seth and placed it on the nightstand, in the master bedroom that way he can find it

I am in the nursery with the twins. It is time for me to say goodbye to my son and daughter, and wish them the best life without me in it. As I gently placed Landon back in his crib, tears began falling down my cheeks. Then, I went over to Charlize's crib. I gently grabbed her and held her in my arms. Like Landon, she is dressed in a warm outfit, that makes her look like a teddy bear. She smiled up at me and my heart ached with pain.

As a tear fell from my cheek, I placed her back in her crib

As a tear fell from my cheek, I placed her back in her crib. Then, I stepped back and looked at my babies, who were falling asleep in their cribs.

"I love you both," I whispered. "I am terribly sorry for what I must do."

After I said that, someone from behind me said, "What are you sorry for?"

I instantly turned around and saw Bella, who made a surprise visit.

"Layla, what is going on? What are you doing?" she added.

"Bella you're not supposed to be here."

Bella took a few steps toward me. She looked around the room and then back at me.

"Answer me!" she demanded.

"I have to go," I said, as I walked past her.

Bella followed me downstairs and sped in front of me. I stopped walking and knew that Bella wasn't going to let me go without an explanation.

"Does this have something to do with what you told me the day the twins were born?"

"It has everything to do with that," I confessed.

"Tell me." Bella insisted.

"When I was eight months pregnant, I got a visit from Aro and Alec. They came to kill me. A punishment for marrying a werewolf and becoming pregnant. To avoid that, I made a deal with Aro himself. If I left my family unexpectedly and join the Volturi, he would leave my family alone." I explained.

"Oh Layla, what have you done."

"I did what I had to. I could not let Seth and the twins suffer because of me."

"But they will! They need their mother!"

"What's done is done." I continued. "You must promise me that you will not speak a word about this to anyone. Please, Bella."

"I promise, Layla. But only because you are my dearest friend." Bella agreed.

I gave Bella a hug. I began to cry once again.

"Watch over my family and protect them," I whispered to Bella.

I backed away from Layla and ran out of the door. I sprinted to the end of the driveway, where I stopped and turned around to look at the house. It is so hard to leave the people you love, even though you are doing it to protect them.

"I love you all."

***

Seth's POV:

I opened the front door and was surprised to see Bella here. She looked out the window, as her back was facing toward me.

"Bella, what are you doing here?" I asked.

Bella turned around and had appeared to be crying.

"What's wrong?"

"Layla, she is gone."

My eyes widened. I sprinted up the stairs to the nursery, where I saw the twins sleeping. I checked in every room before I went into the master bedroom. Layla was nowhere to be found. I looked at the nightstand and saw a piece of paper. I slowly walked over to the nightstand. I grabbed the paper and held it in my hand, as I began to read.

Seth,

         Forgive me for doing this to our family, but I can't let you or the twins pay for my mistakes. I have left so that they can have a life without violence. Raise them right and tell them that 'I love them' every day of their lives. Do not come looking for me because you will not find me.

                                   All my love,

                                        Layla

I tore up the letter and threw it to the grown. Tears welled up in my eyes, as I fell on my knees and yelled out for Layla.