Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty-Seven

I lay wide awake in my bed, my eyes glued to the crisp white ceiling above me. A heavy silence echoed around the spacious room. The moonlight shone faintly through the window adjacent to my crystal glass door leading out to the balcony.

All the recent events swarmed inside the darkest depths of my mind. I've tried to push everything out my brain but it's been quite difficult for some reason.

Honestly, I felt mentally and physically drained after everything that has happened even though it's been a few weeks since it occurred.

I put on my poker face and act as if I'm completely fine because I can't show any weakness. Not only that, but I have a lot of money to make. Money doesn't answer to any of my emotions. That is my motivation and it is what drives me to get up in the morning.

I realized that my business aka my empire is my true happiness and I will do anything to make sure everything is running the way it is supposed to be. I built this business from the ground up, my blood, sweat and tears contributed to the success of my business.

I lay there for a while, only thinking to myself as my arms cradled the back of my head. I have no energy to go out or to do anything else. Lying here has me feeling a bit serene.

"Caine?"

I sighed deeply..scratch that..I can never have complete silence without Bryce interrupting. I'm actually surprised she's awake at this time of night especially after the adventure I took her on yesterday.

I can't lie and say I'm not a little glad that she's becoming herself again. Rooming with a depressed and scared Bryce was annoying as hell. She never said anything and constantly avoided me. Even if I wanted to help her she wouldn't let me.

Yesterday, I saw how happy she was to be outside of this room, inhaling the fresh air and seeing the sun set. The smile didn't leave her face until she was fast asleep.

There was a lake house on the east side, that's been abandoned for a few years now and I would always go there whenever I needed to get away.

"What do you want?" I asked with a raised brow, my eyes still focused on the ceiling above us. I heard a slight shuffle next to me before she responded softly, "Can I ask you a question?"

I slowly rose up into a sitting position and snuck a glance at her out the corner of my eye. She was still laying down on the bed with her back facing me.

Several minutes went by and I grew slightly annoyed, "Spit it out already," I snapped with a ting of agitation. I felt a subtle movement on the bed, her sultry voice was right next to my ear. "Hmm I don't like that attitude. Fix it,"

I slowly turned my head in her direction, my mouth set in a thin line. "Don't make me hurt you, Bryce."

"Don't be such a dick. I just wanted to ask you a question asshole," She muttered with a roll of her eyes. Her plump lips set in a small pout.

"You must want me to put your mouth to work since you don't know how to stop disrespecting me," I shot back with annoyance and her green eyes widened.

She glared at me hatefully momentarily and scowled, "Fuck. You."

When her words registered in my mind..I was immediately drowned in flashbacks of the night before she was taken.

I mentally groaned..why do those two words always trigger me? Maybe I need to fuck or something. That night is always replaying in my mind for some strange reason I have yet to figure out. It's like when you finally achieve something you really wanted to do? Does that make sense? I'm just babbling on and on maybe it's because she's fine as hell and I'm attracted to her? Bingo.