Chapter 2 - Just a Target

Four Years Later (Today)

"I'm livin' in the 21st century. Doin' something mean to it. Do it better than anybody you ever seen do it. Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it. I guess every superhero need his theme music..."

I popped the joints of my knuckles and adjusted my earbuds. The system's broken, the schools' closed, the prisons' opened... I slowly walked around the table looking at tubes consisting of different colored chemicals and trays of drugs. For a middle school chemistry teacher, this guy was definitely an expert when creating narcotics. I grabbed a flask filled with red liquid and carefully poured it into another beaker containing some white powder. Expecting an explosion or at least some reaction, I was disappointed when all that happened was the powder dissolving into the red solution. I sighed and began to examine the other equipment when all of the sudden, I heard fizzing. Looking back at the flask, I saw mist beginning to rise and foam building up to the top of the beaker. Amazed by the sight, I inched closer to see the reaction when suddenly, there was a loud pop. The solution erupted from the flask and splattered all over the table. Chemistry was not my strong suit, but for this guy however, it was his living.

His name was Matthew Burke. An eighth grade science teacher in his mid-thirties and a single father of a four years old daughter and an adopted five years old son. Burke's wife passed away four months ago due to a brain tumor and he's been depressed ever since.

So, why am I in his house? I thought you'd never ask, he makes drugs. Cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ketamine, you name it. Not only does he synthesize them, but he also enhances and creates new ones. And when the products are all set to go, local gangs, drug addicts, even kids come flooding in. Disturbing isn't it? For a guy who helps kids on their science homework everyday, it was pretty twisted that he was also responsible for ruining their lives at the same time.

I picked up a photo frame of Burke, his wife, and the two kids. Burke had his arm around his wife and the kids were clinging onto their parent's shirts. Everyone seemed so happy. Behind them was the Golden Gate Bridge partly covered in fog and on the right side of the picture, it wrote, "Happy birthday Matt, love you with all my heart. -Brit." I set the picture down. It such a shame that Brittney, Burke's wife I assume, died so young. She was the lifeline of Burke. However, I wasn't sent here to sympathize with this guy, I was here to take him out. He was a drug manufacturer, supplier, he was my target.

I fiddled around some more with the chemicals when suddenly, I heard the front door open. I sat back down on the leather chair and put on my black face mask.

"Daddy, do you like the orange turtle more or blue turtle?"

I stopped what I was doing. Did I just hear a child's voice? More specifically, Burke's son? This was bad. I knew Burke's schedule well enough, he would be home alone by three every Tuesday, but I didn't expect him to come home with his children today. My mind race through the possible options. Maybe I can come back another day? No, the Captain already postponed my due date once, he won't do it twice... How about wait for the kids to leave or something? No, they live here. I bit my lips, my last option was to take him out in front of the kids; it would cost me extra paperwork and a scolding session with the Captain.

Then, the door to the room opened. "Daddy's gonna be right back with you guys!" Burke said. When he looked back into the room, Matt froze.

"You know, having all this illicit equipment is bad enough, but having it stored in your apartment when your kids are living here? You're basically asking for your death." I said to break the silence.

"Wh- Who are you?" the druglord stuttered," Are you here for the ketamine? They're not done yet."

Rolling my eyes, I slapped my knees and pushed off to get up. "I'm not here for the drugs Mr. Burke," I chuckled, "I'm here for you." I instantly bought up my gun ready to pull the trigger.