Chapter 15 - A Justifiable Reunion

(Adrianne Palicki as Victoria Lance)

This is my fight song, take back my life song, prove I'm alrig--

There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti. He's nervous--

I'm holding on your rope, got me ten feet off the ground. And I'm hearing what you say, but I just can't make a sound...

I took off my earbuds; I wasn't in the mood for any songs. I turned on the kitchen stove and began boiling the water for the tea. As the water was boiling, I began brewing the coffee in the coffee maker. Everyone in the team had different tastes when it came to a morning drink. For Shen and Duke, it was a traditional shot of Vodka; easy and simple. Victoria liked her coffee strong and plain while Blake liked his with a little milk and a load of sugar. Eva and Samantha on the other hand had grown increasingly attached to tea; the only difference, the analyst liked green tea and the sniper liked oolong tea. The drinks were the bulk of each member's personality and positions. The alcoholics were usually ones to charge into the battlefield first; coffee addicts were the brains of the team; and the tea experts had the most tranquil attitudes. I, on the contrary, didn't have a preference to my drink. I usually drank whatever I felt like drinking in the morning. Today, it was pure water.

As everyone's drinks were finished, I placed them on the counter ready to make the last cup. Lilly's cup. Lilly was a whole different ballgame, there was only one way she liked her coffee and it could only be produced by me. There's no secret in making her cup but precise timing and measuring. She didn't like it too strong or too weak. She also liked it with two sugar cubes and some creamer. Carefully weaving her favorite leaf design, a soft pitch filled the morning silence with harmony.

"Morning Henry." It was almost a whisper.

I bought her cup of coffee and my water over to the table and smiled. "Good morning Lilly."

She gave a weak smile at the sight of the coffee, "Is that coffee..."

"For you." I said pushing the cup towards her.

"I love the design but... I gave up coffee years ago." I clenched my teeth, things have changed. "It's okay." She said quickly noticing my expression, "I'd love to taste this one cup. This one made by you."

She sipped the coffee and smiled. I knew it was forced. Giving her a moment, I drank my glass of water before speaking again. "Lilly, you must have a few questions for me but first, I want to know how you are taking in all of this?"

"A few questions is a bit of an understatement... I was frightened seeing you at the mall. I thought you were dea-- I attended your funeral." Lilly said, "I'm shocked." I nodded, shocked was normal. At least compared to losing your mind which was me when I got recruited. Lilly shook her head in disbelief and looked at me, "Why would you fake your death?"

Shit. Knowing it was inevitable to avoid her question, I debated whether or not to tell her the truth. The Enterprise was suppose to be a secret, Kane warned me about it. But she'd figure out eventually; the guns, the killing. Or maybe she would mistaken us as a terrorist group and call the cops. Even more trouble.

"Lilly, can you promise me something?" She hesitated but nodded slowly. "Promise me you will not share with anyone anything I'm about to tell you."

"I promise."

"Alright." I cupped my hands together and looked up, "Truth is, I never died. The car crash, gas station explosion, my death, it was all an act." I placed my Enterprise I.D. and my pistol on the table. Lilly flinched at the sight of the gun but regained her composure. "I work for the Enterprise, a secret organization of assassins authorized by the government to hunt and kill criminals who have escaped judgement. Everyone else in this house, they're agents too."