Chapter 20 - Night of a Life

Amanda Seyfried as Samantha Starr

"Grape juice or apple juice?" I asked carefully holding the two bottles.

Lilly looked at me with her jaw hanging, "Juice with lobsters?"

"Umm... yeah." I responded seeing nothing wrong with it.

"Let's get those Martinelli's Apple Cider." She said grabbing two bottles from the shelve.

We strolled down the vegetable aisle picking out ingredients which would complemented our king lobsters we had in our cart. As hard as we tried being mature adults shopping, Lilly and I could never stay serious.

From reenacting the light-saber duel between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader using pepperoni sticks to seeing how many lemons we could juggle (Lilly brags she can juggle eight but wouldn't show me), grocery shopping took longer than expected. But at last, we exited with three full bags of grocery containing seafood, potatoes, broccoli, and of course, ice cream.

Suzie was replaced by a broad-shouldered, middle-aged man at the receptionist desk by the time Lilly and I entered the building. Just like our Russian brunette, the new receptionist also gave me a wary look but relaxed when Lilly told him (proudly) that I was her boyfriend. That title never failed to excite me. She said it with a certain ring; a tone which no other person could emulate. She was the only one who could make the butterflies flutter in my stomach. Spending time with my beloved angel allowed me to learn how to cherish good times. Good times including cooking in the kitchen:

"Henry, you can't cut the potatoes like that! Otherwise, they'll be potato cubes, not potato... strips!"

I laughed, "Potato cubes? You mean tater tots or something?"

"You know what I mean."

"Here, how about you do the veggies and I do the lobsters." I offered, knowing how much she hated handling live animals.

Lilly didn't even hesitate; in an instant, she bolted over to where I was, "Deal!"

I went over to our ocean-dwelling, red-clawed friends. Untying the restraints on their claws, I suddenly had an evil idea. "Lilly! Oh, Lilly!" I said in my best ghostly voice as I lifted the two lobsters out of the sink.

"Don't tell me you don't know how to coo-- Henry! What the hell?! STOP!"

I laughed evilly while chasing her around the house with a lobster on each hand.

"Henry!" Lilly shrieked; it sounded more of a laugh than a terrified scream.

"Mr. Krabs called, he wants his eighty-seven dollars and sixty four cents back!"

"Mrs. Potato Head called," Lilly shouted chucking pieces of potato at me, "She wants part of her ear back!"

Suddenly, I tripped on the leg of the coffee table dropping our two sea critters and falling onto Lilly. Thankfully, her floors were made of smooth, wooden planks, not hard, concrete tiles.

"Ouch!" Lilly yelped.

"Oh my god. You okay?"

"You tell me." She mumbled. Yeah, she was okay.

None of us moved from our current position. We looked at each other in the eye. "You're an idiot Henry." Lilly joked.

I shrugged, "As long as I'm your idiot, I'm happy." Instinctively, I leaned in to kiss her.

Though the kiss was only for a second, it was certainly worth more than one. Lilly was the only one who could do that. She was the only one who could make moments worth more than they're supposed to. Samantha couldn't replicate that, Eva couldn't replicate that, only Lilly. And that was the difference between lust and love. Love wasn't counting the minutes, it was making the minutes count. Lilly opened her eyes and smiled at me with ardor. Our kiss did all of the talking.