Chapter 23

1 month later...

I didn't know that living on my own would be so difficult. I mean, I did not have financial problems but being super lazy didn't help my situation. I had to get up at 7:30 in the morning and then I had to work till 5:30. I had successfully gotten a job at the town library and a fully furnished apartment on rent in a decent area of the town.

The woman who owned the library is a very sweet person but she gives me a lot of work. Or maybe it's just me who's lazy. At first I really hated it but then I eventually got used to it. In fact, sitting ideally now, bothers me a lot. Unbelievable, I know. My mom would've been really happy if she saw me working hard. I know working in a library wasn't a big deal but the fact that my mom raised me like a princess with me having to do nothing except demand new things did make a difference for me.

No one really wanted to work at a library, unlike me, which is why I got the job easily. I didn't know that though. I accept, I chose to work at a library because I expected that I wouldn't have to work a lot. But now I, alone, have to stack all the books, enter the data in the system and keep track of all the books. There was another girl, Joanna, who used to work with me at the library but just a week ago she shifted to some other town with her family.

Joanna is really funny, looks pretty and is smart in studies. She worked at the library as a part time job. As for me, I was taking online education which seemed better than actually attending school. Working and attending school didn't seem like my cup of tea so I didn't even bother to give it a thought.

As for my father, he kept on irritating Chloe for a week so that she would tell them where I was. But Chloe kept her mouth shut. He kept tracking her calls and messages but found none that would lead him to me. Of course, he doesn't know about the other phone that Chloe uses. So according to Chloe, my father is convinced that Chloe doesn't know anything about my disappearance. Not to mention that Chloe would call him every alternate day or so to ask him if he came to know anything about my whereabouts.

Just a week ago, Chloe told me that my father was suspiciously quite about the whole me-running-away thing. I guessed that he had finally gotten over his over protective attitude and has decided to leave me alone but Chloe found it rather 'fishy'. She said that Dominic had something in his mind, like a secret plan that would help him to find me.

She also informed me that there were a few calls that she had received which were for me. Apparently, it was someone from a bank who wanted to know where I was because of some business regarding my old house. Chloe had, gingerly, called up my father and had asked him what was supposed to be done and surprisingly, my father did handle whatever issue that was and the person from the bank had never called Chloe again.

Chloe kept telling me every time that my father seemed like a really good man. She told me that instead of torturing her to know about me, he had treated her very nicely. Like how a normal father would've treated his daughter's friend. I felt a pang of jealousy every time she said that. I mean, he is my father whom I left and now Chloe is the one who gets his attention. She also found Brownie very cute and his name is Aaron, Chloe informed me.

I missed Emma, Angelo, Lucian and everyone else so much. I almost felt like getting into my car and getting the heck out of here to meet them. But I had come too far to go back now. I highly doubt if they would ever take me in again. I mean, they've probably stopped looking for me by now.

"Alayna, honey, are you done?", Mrs. Davidson asked me. Mrs. Davidson is the owner of this library and a very polite and kind woman.

"Yes, Mrs. Davidson", I replied as I finished stacking the last pile of books away.

"Then you should go have lunch first", she instructed before she went and sat on the chair behind the reception desk which indicated that she had finished her lunch and would take care of the library till I finished.