Chapter 4

I didn't see him again nor did I go to the store again. I was scared of him. No one did that to me. But deep down inside, I don't know why but I wanted to see him again. How much ever I was scared of him, I couldn't deny the truth.

Maybe because he had this bad boy aura around him. He could be a serial killer or a rapist for all I know. But I don't think he could be a rapist. I mean, girls would be begging him to sleep with them...he is hot. But, I can't be sure about the serial killer part...he does look like a gang member - except, he wasn't wearing a leather jacket or I didn't see him carrying a gun.

But whatever - he was bad news, that was for sure. His eyes held a dangerous glint in them. The ones which are always ready to fight.

But why did he save me? I don't think he did it without a reason. Even though I just met him once, I'm sure he's not the type to go around help girls who need to be saved.

Is it because he felt something towards me?

Now I would be lying if I said that didn't give me butterflies in my stomach. But that's not possible, he can get any girl he wants and obviously someone who's not a virgin and coward like me. Bummer, major bummer.

I heard the doorbell ring. Mom is home, Chloe is not coming over today nor did mom tell me about her clients coming over. So who would it be now?

I got up from the bed and went out my door. I walked downstairs to see my mom already shutting the door. She had a white envelope in her hand. Must have been the courier service.

Mom tore off the top of the envelope and removed what I assumed was some letter and started reading it. Instantly her face went pale.

"What is it?", I asked, concern lacing my voice.

She was startled. She thought she was alone in the room. She quickly regained her composure and looked at me with a usual smile on her face.

"Just a letter from one of my staff worker", she tried to act casual but I could see the fear in her eyes. What was she scared of?

Just when I was about to ask her what the letter was about, the house phone rang. Mom practically leaped for the phone before I could get to it.

"Hello?", she answered, her voice shaking. What's going on?

"Yeah that's me", she said but a slight bit angry now.

Mom looked at me and raised an eyebrow at me. I just shrugged my shoulders, not understanding what she meant. Plus I wanted to wait and listen to the conversation. She gestured me to go to my room.

Now it was my turn to raise my eyebrows at her. But she just glared at me. The glare that said, 'do what I say or you're grounded.'

Even though I didn't want to, I stomped my foot like a child, turned on my heel and went upstairs to my room. I went to my room and opened the door, I didn't go inside but stood outside and slammed the door shut again, hard, pretending as if I was in my room.

I knew she was waiting for me to get out of earshot when she started talking on the phone again. I tiptoed to the top of the stairs and waited there and heard my mom talking on the phone.

I wasn't able to hear it loud but it was enough for me.

"What do you want?", she hissed angrily.

Woah! This guy must've really got on her nerves 'cause mom never got angry just like that.

"Stay away from her or else I'll call the cops!", she almost yelled in the phone.

Stay away from who? Last time I checked mom was a interior designer...

Mom listened to whatever the person was saying before she yelled,

"Over my fucking grave!", and just like that she hung up.

Who was she even talking to?

I saw mom as she put the phone back on its holder and sighed. She put her head in her hands and stayed there.

Something was bothering mom...but what?

Mom was about to turn around so I quickly ran back to my room. I opened the door and prayed to all the Gods of doors to help me open this door without making any noise.

Thank the Gods, the door didn't creek. I quickly got inside my room and closed the door again slowly. I jumped on my my bed and just sat there. Thinking.

What was all that about? Mom never sweared...at least not when I was around.

Who could that be?

I laid down on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Even if something was bothering her why would she hide it from me?

And who was she referring to be when she asked that person to stay away from 'her'?

I think I should ask mom about it. Maybe I could help. And even if I couldn't, I have the right to know about it. After all I'm 17...I'm not a kid anymore.

"Alayna, dinner is ready!", mom yelled.

"Coming", I yelled back.

I got up and went out of my room. I will ask mom about all of it. She has to tell me. I'm her daughter, she can't hide things from me. And from what I heard...it sure as hell sounded serious.

With this thought in mind, I went down the stairs and into the kitchen. I would've helped her set the table but she had already finished. Probably to avoid my questions.

The moment I looked at mom, all my thoughts of asking her about the call and letter vanished.

Mom had frown lines on her forehead and she looked extremely pale, as if she would fall sick any moment. She looked scared. About what?

I so desperately wanted to ask her about it but I decided against it. She wasn't ready right now. And I'm sure she'll tell me everything when she is ready.

"Do you need any help?", I asked mom.She broke out of her thoughts and looked at me. It lokked as if she would start crying any moment now.

"No sweetie, I'm already done, thanks anyway.", she said, her voice was still shaking.

Didn't she realize that I already doubted that something was wrong? I guess mom thinks she is a good actress.

I nodded my head and sat the table, trying to pretend I didn't sense something wrong with her. Soon mom joined me and both of us ate in silence for sometime before I thought of enlightening her mood.

We talked about pointless topics and soon mom was back to being her old self, or at least I thought. It took everything in me to not ask her about whatever happened earlier. I didn't want to spoil her mood.

After we finished dinner,I helped mom wash the dishes and keep the plates back in their places.

After that, I gave mom a goodnight kiss on the cheek and ran upstairs to my room. I changed into some Mickey Mouse pj's and sat on the bed not before keeping my phone on the bedside table for charging. Since we lived in Miami, it was pretty hot and I didn't need covers and I fell asleep.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

thanks for being patient! I know I'm not the best writer but I am trying...

I would really appreciate if ou guys would comment if you have any corrections for the mistakes I make, but please don't be rude...

You guys may be bored but there is a bad boy ahead so hold on and please continue reading!

Do vote

and comment!