Chapter 26

Guilt.

It hit me like a hard wave that literally tore me apart.

Who knew I'd ever feel something for people whom I was supposed to hate?

I sighed as I tried my best to not cry.

"I'm sorry", I mumbled.

Lucian looked at me with pity but Emma and Angelo didn't seem fazed by my apology. Dad just shook his head in disappointment while Luke stood behind, gingerly watching the drama with a cup of coffee in his hands. He didn't look amused nor sad but he was simply enjoying whatever was unfolding before him.

We were currently at a mansion a little far from the small town that me and Luke had been in before they arrived. The mansion was big, but not bigger than the one in LA. The marble flooring was cold just like the atmosphere but it felt more tense since I was being lectured and mentally tortured for my sins.

We left the place after Angelo and Lucian came for me. We left Luke's car at the hotel and together, the four of us traveled till we reached wherever this place is. I didn't bother asking since I knew both Angelo and Lucian were mad at me but they came for me so I didn't try to bicker with them.

I was too tired by the time we reached so I was told to rest for some time, since it was already past sunrise when we reached, and I couldn't even keep my eyes open or stop yawning. So I went straight to bed without any further conversation. Besides I knew I wasn't off the hook so picking a fight wouldn't help me at all.

The others, however, had stayed for a little longer. They said they had somethings that had to be discussed and so they stayed up for another couple of hours before going to bed. I didn't even take a look at the bedroom that I was led to before collapsing on the bed. I was too tired to care.

I slept peacefully but my peace went out of the window the moment I freshened up and went down to the living room. Everyone, who included Emma, Angelo, Lucian, Katherine, Brownie whose name is Aaron, Luke, Dad and a few people I didn't recognize, were seated in the giant living room and were discussing something important but all of them became silent as soon as I walked down the stairs. Everyone had different emotions written on their faces.

Like Anger.

Pity.

Disappointment.

Frustration.

And maybe a little happiness for having me back. Then I was told to take a seat on the couch as all the not so close people except Luke were asked to leave us alone. And that's when the parade started.

"Sorry doesn't cut it, Alayna", Emma frowned.

"I know. But I really wanted to do what my mother had asked me to do before she left me", I explained softly.

"So you could've told us! We would've made sure that once you finish studies then your father would've got you a house or something close to your college and even in a safe area. You running away like that was so dangerous", Katherine scolded and I looked down in shame as I realized my mistake.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't of have taken a decision so quickly", I apologized again.

"Imagine your father's panic when he comes home from such a messy situation and finds out that his daughter has disappeared in the middle of the night with her phone left on her nightstand", Katherine continued, ignoring my apology.

I shrank even more, if that was possible.

I hadn't thought of that when I ran away. All I saw was an opportunity to get out of here and I took it without thinking of anybody else. Chloe was right; I should've turned around and returned instead of puling that stunt. I was so occupied by the idea of running away that I didn't even care about the fact that I was going to ruin Emma's birthday that already had a rough start.