Chapter 4

The ambulance arrived at Holby City hospital. Where Sophie was taken to AAU. She was then checked over by Mr Di Lucca did some tests to see what was wrong with Sophie.

"Miss Mason can I have a word outside please?" Raf asked Rachel.

"Yeah ok course let me just go and tell Sophie and get her dad." Rachel replied.

"Eddie the doctor wants a word with us outside."

"Sophie will won't be a minute sweetheart the doctor just wants a quick word with us outside ok." Eddie told a scared looking Sophie.

"Ok mum, dad see you in a minute."

Eddie and Rachel followed the doctor outside to find out what was wrong with their little girl.

" I think that it is Sophie's appendix that is causing her all this pain."he told Rachel an Eddie

"OK so how can you help her?" Eddie asked the doctor.

"Well we will have to remove it before it burst"

"What an operation?" Rachel asked

"Yeah but it is routine and she should be out of hospital a week after the operation if there are no complications."

"However Sophie will have to take a couple of weeks off school after the operation to make sure that she had fully recovered."

"Ok thank you doctor we will tell Sophie then you can come and talk to her about the actual operation" Eddie said shaking the doctors hand as he thanked him.

"Ok that should be fine I will see you later on." I'll just go and do the paperwork so she can be transferred up to Keller our general surgical ward.
Rachel and Eddie walked back over to Sophie's bed to tell her the good and bad news.
" Soph the doctors know whats wrong with you."Eddie told Sophie

"What is it dad what wrong with me?"Sophie asked

"It's your appendix love." Rachel said to a worried looking Sophie

"H..ow do they make me better?"She asked already really knowing the answer she just hoped she was wrong

"They remove your appendix Soph then you will feel better."

"But mum I don't want an operation I don't want to die like Lucy."

"I want to go home"Sophie replied while trying to pull out her IV lines out and trying to get out of bed to get dressed, but failing miserably, because she was in to much pain.

"Sophie Ella Mason look at me sweetie you won't die you will go and have this operation and then you will be able to go home." Rachel firmly but calmly told her daughter using her head teacher voice like she always did when ever she wanted to get through to Sophie.

"Soph if you go and have this operation their is some good news as well."

"What that then dad?"

"Me and your mum were thinking that we would take you to florida in the summer"

"Oh cool thanks mum,dad and can we go to disneyland to?" Sophie asked as she tried to hug them, but winced in pain as she did so.

Once Sophie had been transferred up to Keller a different doctor came over to have a chat with them about the operation in the morning and what to expect.

"Hi Sophie I'm Dr Leevy and I am going to be the person taking out you appendix tomorrow."

"I would like to talk about what will happen tomorrow if that is ok with you?"

"Yeah that's fine."

"Ok well first of all nothing to eat or drink after midnight otherwise it will affect the anastasia . Right tomorrow you will be brought down to the theatre.

Where first we will give you a general anastentic to put you to is so that you will not be able to feel the operation. Your mum and dad can come down with you and stay with you until you full asleep."

Dr Leevy said just thinking that Rachel and Eddie where both sophie's parents. However neither Rachel or Edfie corrected him.

"Then me and my team of surgeons will do the operation which should take at least an hour maybe even two.

After the operation is complete you will be taken to recovery where you will stay for about an hour until you have woken up completely, and we know that you have not reacted to the anastentic or any of the painkillers.

That will have given when we are sure that you are ok you will be brought back up here where you will be able to have something to eat and drink."

" Have you got any questions that you want to ask me before I go?"

" Yeah I have what if I wake up during the operation cause you know you see these things happen on TV don't you?"

Well don't worry about that, because you will be attached to all these monitors that tell as different things. One of these things is if you are waking up or not. So when you are waking up a bit we will just top up the anastentic. Ok is that every thing?"

"Yeah that's everything thanks doctor." Sophie whispered

"Ok will I will see you in the morning Sophie."