Favoritism.

Comment goal: 10

On a sunny Saturday morning, at 7 AM sharp, a CPS official came into the D'Martinez mansion, eager for answers.

"Mr. D'martinez?"

"Yes, officer."

"Im Detective Reynolds, from Child Protective Servies, and I'd like to ask you and your wife a few questions. Is she home?"

"Very tired, but, yes she's here. Come in, please."

"You have a lovely home." The red-haired detective says with a kind smile, looking at every inch of the house.

"John-oh, hello. I'm Nina D'Martinez."

"Detective Reynolds. I'm just here to ask a few questions."

"Regarding?"

"Your daughter, Nayeli D'Martinez." Mr. Reynolds pauses, looking at his papers, "oh, excuse me, adoptive daughter."

+

"What's going on?" Nash says groggily, still half asleep.

"There's a detective here, he wants to ask us some questions." Grayson says, shaking her shoulders softly.

"Oh okay." Nash says, standing up from her bed and running into her and Grayson's bathroom.

She takes a quick shower and brushes her teeth, coming out of the bathroom in only a white towel.

"Gray can you get my- oh, hi."

"Hi, I'm detective Reynolds."

"Yeah, I figured." Nash said, frozen in the middle of the hallway, not knowing what to do.

His eyes raked up and down her body, grimacing at the scars on her arms and legs.

"Where's the restroom?" He cleared his throat shamefully.

"Fourth door on the left." She says, forcing a smile.

"What took you so long? He's waiting for us downstairs, El."

"Sorry..I lost track of time." She said, changing in front of her brother without precaution.

It wasn't anything he hadn't seen before.

+

"Have you witnessed any..favoritism to you as opposed to Ms. Nayeli?"

"Yes. All the time. From dad only, though." Grayson speaks honestly, as he promised to do so ten minutes ago.

"And why do you think that happens?"

"I don't know, detective." Grayson says through gritted teeth, staring at him angrily.

So he does know about the adoption, detective Reynolds thinks.

+

"Who the hell called the CPS?! Was it you, Grayson?" Mr. D'Martinez's eyes were thirty shades darker then their original color.

Grayson and Nayeli glanced at each other, she was shaking with fear.

"Yes." Grayson lies, "I wasn't kidding when I said I'd protect Nash."

"From what?" Their poor, gullible mother asks cluelessly.

"Why don't you as your husband?" Grayson says with a harsh stare.

"You're lucky you have some dumbass disease I don't remember the name of."

"John!" The curly haired red head scolds, a look of hurt and sadness in her caramel colored eyes.

"It's true. If he didn't have it, I would've beat his sorry arse a long time ago."