1

*Flashback*

"911 what's your emergency?"

"S-shots have been fired, there's two people down. I-I need help"

"What's the address?"

"154 Crestwood Avenue, hurry"

But that was before the police and paramedics arrived on scene before my mother said her final word "He's coming"

***

My name is Hailey, Hailey Cortex. I'm 18 years old and reside in Los Angeles, California. My older sister Hannah Cortez is my legal guardian, petite and quite the blonde. I on the other hand, prefer being a natural brunette.

My sister and I live in a huge condo, no husband, no kids, my sister's world revolved around her entrepreneur business which carried her across to more states than you can imagine. I often stayed home alone, I was old enough to take care of myself now, I was old enough to handle the truth.

It all happened four years ago, I had just returned home from a sleepover, my sister was at her friend's. The house was dark, eerie, it was unlike both of my parents, John and Amanda Cortez who both worked hard at raising me and my sister. As my slow footsteps dragged on I feared for the worst as my stomach ached on the insides with worry.

I slowly made my way up the staircase and into the hall where I noticed my parents' bedroom door slightly ajar. I knocked which is the mannerly thing to do but no answer came. My stomach began doing somersaults when I opened the door and that's when I let the most horrifying hurtling scream known to mankind. There they were in a pool of blood on the bed sheets clinging unto life and my only known instinct kicked in at the time and that instinct told me to dial 911.

The police and parademics arrived but by then it was too late, my parents were dead.