chapter 5

Kylie's POV

I wake up still in the hammock with my head on Ansel's stomach and my arms entangled with his legs. I slowly untangle myself from him, careful not to wake him up.

I stand up and stretch to get the kinks out of my muscles. Everything from yesterday hits my mind at full force. My and Ansel's fight, my talk with my mom, Ansel telling me he thinks he loves me, and actually talking about a relationship with Ansel.

I take off running down the beach. This is way too much. I can't date Ansel. I can't risk anything. I won't. I don't know how to have a real relationship. Everything with Zach was just a game. This is the real deal, and if I screw something up he may never want to talk to me again.

I run for about 45 minutes, but I still don't want to go back. I take off my shorts and tank top and just lay out in the sun. I feel like I'm about to doze off, when I realize that I don't have sunscreen on, and I really don't want to get burnt, which I probably will anyway. So, I take off running back to the house.

Everyone is up by the time I get there, but I'm in no mood for talking. I go straight upstairs to the master bedroom, and I go to take a shower. I just let the cold water run over my head, when I hear a voice.

"Are you okay?" Ansel asks

"Why are you in here?" I ask, I automatically cover myself, even though he can't see through the curtain.

"I'm worried about you. You know, I didn't mean to scare you last night." He says

"Can we talk about this later? I'd really like to be alone." I say, aggravated.

When I get out of the shower I throw on a bikini and a sundress dress and grab my book, The Fault in Our Stars out of my suitcase and I put sunscreen on and make my way to the beach.

I find a nice spot just out of the water's reach and I lay down on my stomach and I get lost in John Green's words. I don't even notice when my mom lays down beside me with her book. I start getting to the sadder parts of the book so I lay it down and roll over to get some sun on my stomach. I start to doze off.

About an hour later I wake up, and my mom's not laying beside me. I stand up and stretch and start walking into the water. It feels nice on my warm skin so I dunk myself under. When I come back up I see Ansel making his way towards me. Oh great, I think.

"Do you still want to be alone?" He calls

"Yeah" I yell back.

"At least eat something" I then notice he has a plate with blueberry pancakes and bacon on it.

I walk over and take the plate from him. I sit cross legged on the sand and start to eat. I pretend not to notice Ansel standing awkwardly by my side.

"Can I sit?" He asks

"No." I say, continuing eating.

He sighs and I look up. He runs his hands through his hair and then leaves them covering his eyes

"Kylie." He says. He uncovers his eyes and looks at me. He throws up his arms in exasperation. "I'm sorry. Okay? I thought you felt the same but I was wrong. If you wanna be friends then fine."

"I-" I start, but he starts to walk away. I lay my plate down and run after him. "Fine! Leave. You know this is exactly what I was trying to avoid, Ansel!" I yell after him.

He turns around. "Oh yeah? Which part? actually having someone that cares about you? Or making me look like a dumbass?" He says

"I...you're not a dumbass. And I'm sorry. It's neither. I don't want to lose you as my friend, and you see how far a relationship is gonna get with us. We're already fighting." I say, feeling tears.

He looks like he's about to say something, but he just let's his arms drop to his side. He stands there for a second then comes over to me and wraps me in his arms.

"IM sorry Kye. I don't want to fight with you." He says.

"Good. I don't like it when we fight."

"What do you like that we do?"

When we make out and lay in the hammock together and when you sleep in my bed, I think but I don't say that.

"When we spend time together." Is what I say.

"Then what are we waiting for?" He asks

We spend the rest of the afternoon swimming in the ocean and chasing each other in the sand. Around 5 we just lay in the sand enjoying the warm sun. I start burying Ansel in the sand. He's singing some song I don't know as I cover his stomach with sand.

"Let me take you to dinner." He says out of no where.

"Why?" I ask

"Because you wouldn't let me give you a gift. And I like food."

"Then take yourself to dinner." I suggest.

"I wouldn't look that good in the dress your mom bought you." He says matter-of-factly.

"What dress?" I ask suspicious.

Just then I hear my mom yelling for me.

"The dress I highly suspect that she is about to give you." He says with a smirk.

I groan and roll my eyes. I stand up and brush the sand off me before I start walking toward the house.

"Hey! Help me get out of the sand!" Ansel yells behind me.

"Watch out for high tide!" I yell to him running away

When I get in the house a pink wrapped box is sitting on the table. My mom is sitting in a chair beside Todd with a Camera.

"What?" I ask, acting oblivious to the bag.

"We got you something." Todd says.

I just stare at him. Why does he feel the need to talk to me?

"Who told him to speak?" I ask my mom pointing at Todd.

By that time Ansel has made it, and he hears what I say.

"Kylie!" My mom and Ansel say at the same time.

"What?" I ask

"Nothing" my mom says, aggravated. "Just open your gift."

I open it and pull out a gorgeous dress. It's creme colored and strapless and absolutely gorgeous. They tell me Ansel picked it out.

I say thanks and head up to my room, Ansel following. I stuff the dress in my closet and flop down on the bed.

"Aren't you gonna put your dress on?" Ansel asks

"When I have some where to wear it." I say, acting busy on my phone.

"To dinner?" He asks, walking over to me.

He puts one knee on the bed and a hand beside my head. I shake my head. He sighs and starts to get off the bed but I grab a fistful of his shirt and pull him to me. His lips meet mine, and I kiss him forcefully. He maneuvers himself on top of me and I tangle my fingers in his hair. He moves his lips to my neck, and I moan quietly in his ear. I'm automatically embarrassed but he pretends not to notice. Instead he moves back to my lips. When we're both gasping for air he pulls back.

"So dinner?" He asks, gasping.

"Sure." I say, breathlessly.