Chapter 8

Kylie's POV

It's been a month and a half since Ansel left for press tour. And it's been hard. Of course it's already hard being away from him, but just the things I've seen in the media make me feel insecure.

Like now, I sit in my room looking at his Instagram page. He's posting videos of his fans. And the comments the girls leave are awkward. Of course I'm not mad at them. I'd do the same thing. But some of them are saying stuff about him and the actress he does the movie in. Talking about how they should be together.

I sigh and throw my phone across my bed. I lay down and hold my head In between my hands. I feel tears form. This isn't gonna be easy. I read the book when it came out. And I know I have to watch the movie. I know he's acting, but seeing him kiss another girl, is gonna be hard.

My phone buzzes and I lean up to look at the screen to see who it is. It's Ansel. For the fifth time in two days I hit ignore. It's not like I'm mad at him. I just don't want to ruin his happy by my moping.

Ansel's POV

The call goes to voice mail. Again. Kylie's been ignoring my calls. And texts. What have I done wrong.

"Hey man, we need to get packed up. Time for another plane trip." My co-star, Nat, tells me.

I just nod. He comes over and sits beside me.

"What's up?" He asks.

"I don't know. My girlfriend hasn't been answering my phone calls."

"Oh. I'm sure there's a good reason. Focus on the trip, dude. It'll be over soon." He says, and walks away.

He's right. This press tour has been one of the greatest times of my life. I've got to meet so many amazing people and a lot of my wonderful fans. I can talk to Kylie later.

Kylie's POV

Ansel hasn't called me again in a week. I don't know why I'm mad. It was me that wasn't answering his calls. Maybe he just gave up on us. Maybe he's happy with his co-star. Whatever. I think all of this as I walk into school. I only have two more weeks.

I walk to my locker. I've already cleaned It out and now the only things in there are my books. I get my books I need for first period and I shut my locker. A figure leaned against the other one makes me jump. He stands there slumped aagainst the lockers, examining his fingernails.

"Hi Zach." I say walking past him. He walks beside me. "what's up?" I ask.

"Nothing. I'm sorry about what happened with me and Elgort at your house a while back." He says.

I'm startled. "It's fine. He does have a first name you know?"

"Yeah. Anyway, I'm sorry about everything. And I want us to be friends." He tells me.

I stop and look at him. Trying to see some kind of joke he may be playing. But he looks sincere.

"Okay. Well, let's be friends." I agree.

We walk to class together. Actually, we spend the whole day together. He even comes over to my house after school. We don't do anything. We just talk and get caught up. I tell him me and Ansel are now a thing. And he tells me that he has been seeing a girl from our trig class. When he leaves I feel peaceful. I mean, I only kept dating him because I liked talking to him, and now I can do that without the drama.

I hear my phone go off. It's Ansel. I answer with a smile.

"Hello?"

"What the hell? Why are you hanging out with Zach?" He says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I texted your mom to ask if you were home and if you'd actually answer my phone call and she said you were with Zach. In your room."

"Let me explain!" I panic

"Please do!"

"He apologized this morning for almost getting into a fight with you, and he apologized for all that he did to me and he wants to be friends. That's it! He came over and we talked. I told him about us. And he's seeing someone too!" I rush.

There's a pause.

"Okay." He finally says.

"Okay? You're okay with it?" I ask.

"Yes. I'm okay with it. I trust you." He tells me.

"Great. I'm sorry I haven't been answering your phone calls. I didn't really know what to say." I admit.

"About what?" He asks.

I don't want to tell him I'm insecure about our relationship. And I don't even know if he likes his co-star at all.

"I just miss you a lot." I say "and it sucks that you'll miss my graduation."

"It's not like you were gonna actually go. And I miss you too." He laughs.

It's true. I wasn't planning on going. I'm getting my diploma either way.

"Hey, Kye, it's pretty busy here and I may not be able to talk much the next few days. But if I get a chance I'll call you, okay." He says.

"Alright. I really miss you, Ansel." I say

"I know. I miss you even more." And he hangs up.

He didn't call me for the rremaining two weeks. It's my last day of school. I'm sitting in front of my locker while everyone else is in an assembly. I'm picking at the laces on my converse when someone kneels in front of me.

"Hey dork." Zach says.

"Hey dummy" I reply, pushing him off the balls of his feet so he falls over.

"Hey, you should be nice to someone that's bringing good news." He smiles.

"Now I'm suspicious." I say

He smiles bigger. He takes my hand and pulls me up then we take off, literally running, through the hall. We push through the auditorium doors and I hear a familiar voice.

"And I just wanted to come ask her in person. I hope you all don't mind my interruption." The voice says.

I round the ccorner and we see each other at the same time.

"Here she is now! Hey Kye! I was just coming to ask if you would go with me to The Fault In Our Stars premier tonight, okay?" He asks.

I run through the crowd and on stage, into Ansel's waiting arms. I wrap my legs around his waist and push my lips to his. I pull back.

"Okay." I say as 'awhs' come from the crowd.