01

"Why do we eat trees?" Eli whined as he poked the broccoli around his plate.

"Broccoli is good for you, it makes you strong," Olivia smiled. "Is all trees good for you?" The four year old wondered, "they're not all good to eat," Olivia chuckled, she washed up her plate and moved on to tidy up the apartment.

There was a knock on the door and Olivia got a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. Stupidly enough, she swung the door open without even checking who it was.

"Olivia."

The lieutenant almost stopped breathing at the sight in front of her out of pure shock.

"Elliot."

They stood there staring at each other in silence for a few moments, neither of them knowing what to say. The sound of movement in her apartment snapped Olivia out of her daze, she looked over her shoulder,

"Finish your dinner, I'll be right there okay?"

"Kay mommy,"

Elliots eyes widened, he knew things would be different but he never expected Olivia to have a kid by now.

Liv quickly stepped out into the hallway, shutting the door behind her.

"You have a kid?" Olivia sighed, "what the hell are you doing here Elliot?" She ignored his question. A look of guilt came over Elliots face, "I went to your old place, they gave me this forwarding address."

Olivia felt even more angry and hurt now, "so why now? After all this time?"

"Liv, I came to apologize, the way I left things wasn't right."

Olivia scoffed, "You're about 4 years to late Elliot!"

Elliot ran his hands over his face, "look, i-i know. Everything was a mess- it still is a mess, but I'm so sorry Liv. Just give me a couple of hours to explain that to you please...for old times sake,"

"I can't just leave Elliot, I have a responsibility now."

"A kid," Olivia nodded. "What about tomorrow night then? Or any time you're free, I'll wait."

No matter how angry Liv was at the man in front of her, she always had a soft spot for him and seeing him like that, it hurt her. "Fine, tomorrow night then," the woman agreed.

"How old is the kid?"

"He just turned four.." Olivia mumbled. 

Elliot frowned, thinking back, "Olivia..."

Olivia sighed once again, "We'll talk about it tomorrow, how about that pub near the precinct we always went to?" but Elliot wasn't budging, "Liv that-"

"Elliot please," Liv cut him off. His eyes met hers and finally he nodded, "tomorrow," he confirmed before turning to leave.

Olivia angrily wiped away her tears. Angry that he still had that effect on her, angry that he just walked right back in her life again without warning.

She put on a smile as she walked into the apartment, "ready for a bath?"

Her son frowned slightly when he looked at her, quietly hopping off his chair he walked up to Olivia, "momma you okay?" He asked struggling to pronounce the 'k'

Liv picked him up, "momma just needs a hug." Being as gentle as he could, he placed his arms around his mom and laid his head on her shoulder.

An: this was longer than I expected. What do you think so far?