12

Seeing your child in hospital was never easy, Olivia had been in this exact situation countless times before and still she worried just as much everytime.

Elliot had never been in a situation like this before, seeing his tiny boy connected to wires and an oxygen mask scared him.

The doctor was explaining what was wrong but it only confused Elliot more as he stared at the sleeping 4 year old.

Olivia slipped out the door to take a phone call leaving Elliot and Doctor Daniels alone with Elijah.

"Do you mind explaining all that again?"

The doctor smiled sympathetically,  "where should I start?"

Elliot sighed, "the beginning please, all of it. I need to understand."

The woman nodded, "Well as you know he was a premature baby he had a slim chance of making it in the first 3 weeks of his life. He developed bronchopulmonary dysplasia otherwise known as chronic lung disease. I know it's a scary sentence but it's very common in premature babies and most of them like little Eli here still have long term complications."

The man ran a hand over his face and took a seat next to his sons bed.

"So that's what brought us to this?" He gestured to the wires and machines.

"He's more at risk of infections than other kids and tends to get sicker than other would."

"Im broken."

The two adults in the room turned to the boy who was smiling up at them.

"You're not broken Eli, and you have to keep this on little guy okay," the doctor spoke as she slid the oxygen mask back on his face.

Elliot looked over at his son with a smile, "You're definitely not broken."

"Promise?" The four year old stuck out a pinky which Elliot locked with his own.

"Promise."

An/ someone help the poor baby 😢 do you think Olivia will ever tell Elliot what happened with William Lewis?