Living in a Nightmare

'What happened Hunt?' I said, worried for the worst possible news.

'All I know is she was rear ended at a stop light and the front of her car was clipped by an oncoming vehicle.' He explained as we merged onto the highway. The rest of the ride was silent. We pulled into the parking lot and I handed Hunter my parking pass. We briskly walked to the secretary, 'Hi, we're looking for a Joelle Westmith' Hunter said, his fingers tapping on the desk. I placed my hand on his shoulder, 'She's in surgery right now, but head up to the second floor, she has other guests in the waiting room up there.'

We head up stairs and see Sam, Matt, Devon and Joelle's sister Maggie, who've I only met a few times. She sees Hunter and I and crashes into our arms. She begins sobbing, Hunter detaches from her embrace as I maneuver towards a chair and sit next to her. Hunter sits next to Sam, his hands were cradling his head. 'The doctor said she fractured her hip, broke her arm and will likely have a concussion.' We sat in silence, until a doctor poked his head into the room we were waiting in. 'Are you all here for Miss Westmith?' We all nodded, and the doctor pulled up a seat across from Sam. 'I'm Dr.Wickham. She's a very lucky young lady. We managed to reset her hip, and we pinned her arm. She's going to be groggy and sore. We would like to keep her here for the week, at least.' The doctor looked at all of our faces, turned to me, 'Jenna? ...From the Recreation department?'

 I nodded, 'Yeah, um, is Joelle allowed visitors?' I said, trying to rationalize what the doctor said.

'Only for an hour. Then it's lights out.' The doctor said standing up, let the nurses know if you need anything.'

Sam and Maggie went to see Joelle first. Hunter came and sat next to me, placed a hand on my belly and asked, 'Did you have dinner?' I brought my hand up to my forehead.

'Crap, no I was doing some writing, I lost track of time.'

'Well how about we get something on the way home, I haven't eaten either.' He said, placing a kiss on my cheek.

'Does Sam need us?' I asked, 'We have the space.....' My voice trailed off as Sam came back in the room, his eyes welled up.

'Jenna, she wants to see you.'

I get up and put my hand on Hunter's shoulder. I give him a forced smile and make my way across the hall. I look around at all of the machines, the heart monitor beeping, and the IV of pain meds trailing into her forearm. 'Hey beautiful, how are you feeling?'

'Crap, really. My leg is throbbing.' She said, propped up in the pillows.

I sat on the chair next to the bed, 'You're so lucky Joelle. I don't even want to think about what if. I can come visit you on my lunch breaks if you'd like.'

'I'm at your hospital? Oh, that's not too bad.' We both laughed, and her eyes got big, 'You my love, are growing weeds in your belly. Goodness look at you.' I stood up and gave her a side profile.

'Second trimester actually,' I said with a smile. 'Hunter is going to flip, I didn't tell him I'm starting to feel the little muscle twitches from the baby moving inside.'

'That is amazing.' She said, cracking a smile on her pale, bruised face.

'I think it'd be best if you slept. Did you want to see anyone else? All of the guys are here.'

'Just Sam please, but tell everyone thank you for coming.' She said, holding my hand.

'Okay, get a good sleep. I will see you Monday, okay?' I left the room and went back to the waiting room. 'She says good night to everyone and thank you for coming, but she wants to see you Sam.'

He shot up and headed back across the hall, I found myself in Hunter's arms as he held me tightly and I let out a big sigh. He didn't need to say anything; his hug was what I needed. I pulled myself back a bit, 'Is Sam coming over or?'