Thirty Six Weeks and a Tour Bus

The weeks flew by, and Hunter and I were in the city for the CMA Fest. I was seated in the lounge at the back of the bus, my feet up with a Starbucks lemonade in one hand, my phone in the other, feeling the breeze of the fan in my face. I heard a knock and looked up to see Sam and Matt, 'Hunter's just about finished his autograph signing and he's on in ten. How are you?'

I smiled; normally the guys stay with Hunter until he's finished. He probably forced them to check up on me. 'I'm good, staying as comfortable as I can'. At thirty six weeks, I couldn't really see my toes anymore. The last ultrasound revealed that the baby started turning and is more horizontal right now. The guys helped me up and we headed out to the venue. Fans were lined up across from the tour bus and began screaming as I exited the bus. I waved, ushered by the guys to go into the building Hunter was signing in.

Sudden air conditioning gave me goosebumps, but it was welcomed. Hunter was playing in the Grand Ole Opry this afternoon alongside his longtime friend Danielle Bradbery, and Lady Antebellum. I took a seat in the front row of venue and I heard a familiar voice, Hilary from Lady A was headed toward me, her arms wide open for a hug. 'Jenna you look amazing' she said, enveloping me in her arms.

'Thanks,' I said, 'How are you?'

'Good, I'm good,' she said smiling, 'We haven't played here in a while. Is Hunter up again tonight?'

I nodded, 'He's doing the two shows today. We have some stuff to finish up at home,' I laughed pointing to my tummy.

'How much longer?' She asked, 'Have you enjoyed it?'

'Like, six weeks.' I said, beaming, 'I've been lucky, I am loving this. It's getting a bit harder to move.' She smiled, nodding and telling me of when she was pregnant with her first daughter. She was touring right up to eight months.

She excused herself as her manager flagged her onto the stage to get ready. I got comfy in my chair, sipping my ice tea when Hunter came to check on me quick. 'I've got security coming to sit with you,' he said, kissing my forehead before running off to get ready.

A petite female introduced herself as Ebony and sat with me in case for any reason I needed to get up or whatever. 'Your husband is very protective, she said as the venue began to fill up, 'It's very sweet'.

I smiled, 'I'm lucky'. The lights began to dim and the room filled with fans cheering and snapping pictures. The flood lights rose, and Danielle came out to warm up the crowd and began her set. She sang Heart of Dixie, her first hit from nearly four years ago, and it was still my favourite song from her. She thanked everyone for coming, and introduced Hunter up next. I shuffled in my seat, trying to redistribute my weight, Ebony's eyes watched me like a hawk. 'My baby is doing gymnastics,' I laughed. She sighed, turning her attention back to the stage.

In the dim light I could see the guys on the stage, and they begin playing, Hunter emerges from a small wall of dry ice and the fans cheered. He opened with Playback, and dipped into a few songs from Encore and he paused to catch his breath and talk to the audience.

'How's everyone doing this afternoon?' The room burst into applause, a few girls hollered 'Hunter I love you!' He smiled and nodded. 'I love you guys too, you're the reason I've been successful in this industry. I appreciate all of your support as my life continues to change.' He looked at me and smiled. 'I want to take a vote and see what you guys think. My wife, Jenna and I do not know the gender of our baby yet. He or she will be born in six weeks. Who thinks it's a girl?' The audience cheered quite loudly, Hunter smiled. 'That is quite a lot. And a boy?' The audience cheered again, but not nearly as loud. He smiled and nodded, 'I guess we will have to see if you're right! Is it okay if I play a few more songs?' The audience erupted again, and he smiled, nodding to the guys. He played I Want Crazy, and moved into a few songs from Storyline, including Invisible, Storyline and Wildcard. He ended playing Wanted and did Somebody's Heartbreak. 'Thank you all for coming out! Let's hear it again for Danielle Bradbery! Up next is Lady Antebellum, let's hear it for them!'

The security guard held her finger to her ear, and responded into her walkie talkie. 'Jenna, Hunter wanted to know if you want to go back stage?' I nodded, the room was getting a bit warm for me with the floodlights and number of people. Two more security guards showed up, one took a place in front, the other behind me and Ebony stayed by my side. She escorted me to Hunter's dressing room.

'Hey babe, great show!' I said, kissing his warm lips.

'Thanks doll, take a seat,' he said pointing to a couch, 'Do you need a drink?' I shook my head and took a seat on the couch. 'So the audience thinks we are going to have a girl.'

I smiled and nodded, 'I heard. I guess we'll see soon.' Hunter cleaned up and we headed out to grab an early dinner before he did his outdoor set this evening at a second location.

Hunter, the guys and I wound up eating at a diner not too far from the venues. We talked about what was left to do to get ready for the baby, and it seemed like a daunting number of tasks to complete in four to six weeks. We also talked about Hunter's album, he pulled out his phone and showed me the album artwork. 'This is so nice, Hunter.' I smiled. He still has a baby face, but he's matured so much since his debut CD. I scrolled across the pictures and there's a collage of photos for what seemed to be the centerfold on the booklet. I zoomed in a bit, he included pictures of some of the baby's first ultrasounds, our wedding pictures and some pictures from when we were dating. My eyes began to well, and a tear escaped before I could catch it. Concerned, Hunter turned and faced me, 'Jen, are you okay?' his hands softly rested on my shoulders.

I nodded, 'Is this in the cd booklet' I asked, showing him the collage. He smiled and nodded.

The collage also included pictures of Hunter in the studio, on stage and whatnot. 'This is my life, and this is my motivation and influence. I couldn't not include that.' His eyes were shining and he brought a hand up to wipe away a few escapee tears. I sniffled and smiled. I realized the guys were silent, unsure of what to do with me.

'Hormones, sorry,' I laughed, sipping my sweet tea. 'I love it though, Hunter.' He rested his hand on my knee.

We cleared our plates and headed back to the venue. Ebony was waiting for us at the bus to escort me to Hunter's next stage. My watch read 6:30pm, and he was on at 8. We had a bit of downtime, and I resumed my spot on the couches in the bus with Ebony while Hunter and the guys moved the gear. 

We arrived at the outdoor stage, and Hunter had a few chairs set up for Ebony and myself behind the scenes where we could watch without being on the lawn. We sat down, watching the rest of Miranda Lambert's set. 'Thank ya'll for coming out on this fine evening. Up next is one of country's hottest artists right now, please give a warm welcome to Hunter Hayes!'

The guys resumed their positions, and Hunter came out, playing a few different songs from earlier. Part way through, he stopped to make an announcement regarding the plans for his new album and how he and I decided to record together. The audience cheered as Hunter walked me out and handed me a mic. We sang Better Than This, and even with eight hundred people singing along, I felt like I could only hear and see Hunter, like he was all that mattered in that moment.

After our duet, Ross, one of the technicians Hunter worked with came out with a GoPro camera. 'I want all of you to jump as high as you possibly can, and sing from the bottom of your hearts, because we're gonna get a little crazy!' And at that, Ross filmed the audience dancing and singing to I Want Crazy for the DVD portion of his deluxe CD.

He finished up after one encore, and introduced Blake Shelton as the next performer. He came off my side of the stage and I followed him back to where the bus had been moved. We thanked Ebony for her time and we headed in the busy ready for home.

'Great job baby,' I said, kissing and hugging is fairly sweaty body.

'Thanks for joining me, love. Get comfy, we have about an hour to home.' He said, changing his tee shirt before grabbing a seat next to me.