Shellshock

I woke up and turned to find Hunter not in bed. Curious I checked my phone, no texts. He wouldn't leave without leaving a note or text. Baffled, I walk to the bathroom and get my contacts in. Taped to the glass is a note:

'Happy birthday to my beautiful mom-to-be,

Follow the clues to find me and your present.

I want to wrap you up, kiss your lips, I want to make you feel wanted.

Love, Hunter.'

Oh, he's going to make me work, I thought to myself. Excited, I throw on a hoodie, grab the clue and make my way down to the piano in the dining room.

Taped to the bench I found another note,

'One step closer,

You made me the happiest guy alive, taking my last name.'

Hmmm, I think for a moment, and go across the hall to the living room and there was an envelope taped to the frame of our wedding picture on the mantle of the fire place. The note inside read:

'So far so good, just like your good cooking.'

Kitchen, obviously. Taped to the fridge, another note:

'You're my inspiration for everything I do'

I smile, and make my way down to the basement. The recording light was off, and I crack open the door. Sitting at the mixing table with headphones on is my husband, hard at work, or so I thought. He removed his headphones and turned to face me. 'Found me,' he laughed.

'That was cute Hunter,' I said, 'Thank you.' He kissed me before handing me a long silver box. He pulled up a chair, ushering me to sit before I opened it. I handed him his card and he watched me intently as I lifted off the lid. Within the box lay a silver Pandora charm bracelet, filled with charms and spacers. 'Oh my gosh, Hunt!' I felt tears well up in my eyes. 'Thank you, it's so pretty.' He hugged me and whispered in my ear.

'Anything for my beautiful wife.' He said, the corners of his eyes crinkling as a smile broke out across his face.

'Twenty six, pregnant and feeling fine." I said, smiling, putting the bracelet on

We went upstairs to make our usual Sunday breakfast, Hunter made the eggs and I made the pancakes. We washed the dishes together and enjoyed a warm shower. Hunter got a text part way through helping me with a song and it must have been serious because he got up and walked away. I was about to follow him but he put his hand up as he dialed whomever had texted him. I only heard one side of the conversation, but I wasn't sure who it could be.

'Yeah, we can be there if you need us.'

'Don't worry, she's fine.'

'Yeah, what time?'

'See you then.'

Hunter walked back in the room, his happy expression from earlier was long gone. His normally bright blue eyes looked extremely grey, something's up.

'Hunt?' I asked quietly, placing my hand on his knee. He shook his head, not ready to talk.

'Jenna, it's Joelle, she's not doing well.' He said, putting his hand over mine.

'What does that mean? I saw her when I was at work the other day...' I asked, thinking of all sorts of things that could have happened to Joelle. 'Was the Sam on the phone?'

Hunter shook his head, 'Matt,' he answered.

'Hunter Easton Hayes you tell me what's going on with my friend.' I said, placing my other hand on top of his, my eyes watering.

He wrapped me in a hug, and he whispered, 'She was still unconscious when you saw her on Thursday. Something happened between Thursday when you saw her and last nighy. She's on life support Jenna.' I froze, trying to register what was just said. I broke down, bawling into Hunter's chest, unable to catch my breathe between sobs. He held me tight and I just kept on crying.

I heard him sniffle, 'We can go whenever you're ready. No rush, baby.'

'Okay, let me wash up,' I said, getting up from the couch. I shook my head, wiping my eyes. Hunter stood up to hug me again and began singing quietly,

'You need love tough enough to count on, so here I am. You're not alone I'll listen til your tears give out. You're safe and sound I swear that I won't let you down. What's hurting you I feel it too'

I pulled my tear streaked face from the crook of his neck, and pursed my lips into a smile. 'I'll be five minutes.' He nodded and let me go.

I dried my eyes, put on some waterproof mascara, lip balm and leggings with a knit sweater and my Ugg boots. I grabbed my parking pass and made my way out to the car Hunter had started. When we arrived at the hospital, it was quiet. We checked in with the secretary who directed us to a different floor. 'Hmm,' I said to myself, but not quite quiet enough, because Hunter heard me.

'What's that baby?' He asked, holding my hand.

'Nothing.' I said quietly. I was a bit worried, and Hunter could tell. The floor we were directed to was primarily Palliative Care. I followed Hunter as he guided me to a seat in another waiting room. He sat beside me, but shot up when he saw Sam.

'I'm sorry man,' Hunter said, giving Sam a hug. 'I didn't mean to force you to do anything.'

Sam shook his head, 'No I'm sorry. I should have tried to accept your help instead of get mad. It's been rough and I didn't know how to handle it.'

I got up and stood behind Hunter, 'Jenna. Thank you for being here.' he said opening his arms for a hug.

'Of course, love. What are the doctors saying?'

We sat and listened intently and at some point, Matt and Devon showed up too. 'The doctors are skeptical. She didn't come out of surgery like they hoped and they think she had another stroke.'

'Did they operate?' I asked, and Sam nodded, continuing.

'So they intervened to dissolve the clot, she was having seizure almost hourly and she flat lined. Now she's on a ventilator. I don't know what to do. She is going in for CAT scans and MRIs.'

I shook my head, baffled by everything Sam just told us. 'We're here for you Sam, whatever you need.'

He nodded, 'Thanks guys.' We got approval from the doctor to visit Joelle in small groups. I went by myself.

'Are you sure?' Hunter asked, his hands on my hips. I nodded and he gave me a hug before I went in.

'Oh Joelle, if you could see the fuss going on outside. You gotta wake up sweetheart. I know you can hear me. Sam is so upset, Jo, you need to get better.'

I fell silent, holding Joelle's hand, listening to the rhythm of the ventilator and beep, beep, beep of the heart rate monitor. I heard a faint knock at the door and Hunter slides his head in. 'They need her for a test babe, let's go.' I sighed and kissed Joelle's hand.

I left with Hunter behind me. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder giving me a little squeeze. 'Are you okay?'

I shook my head, saddened seeing my best friend in Nashville virtually staying alive because of a machine in front of me. I hugged Sam, Matt and Devon, and Hunter spoke with them for a quick second before walking to the elevator with me.

'We're gonna work from the house, Jen,' he said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. 'It's better to have everyone together there and be close to you.'

I nodded, 'Whatever you need'.

We headed home, rather depressed and headed up to our bedroom. It was still early in the day, and we had dinner reservations with my management downtown. 'How about we take a little nap?' Hunter said, bringing his body closer to mine. I nodded, still speechless.