No Right Way to Say Goodbye

A week of uncertainty about Joelle flew by, and on Saturday night, Sam texted Hunter letting him know it was over. Joelle spent nearly a month in a coma, and Sam was a wreck. Maggie handed over all decisions to Sam, but they agreed that laying in a hospital bed wasn't a life. Hunter and I were there for Sam when the doctors removed the ventilator and machines that were keeping Joelle alive. We held hands, praying. Hunter and I excused ourselves to let Sam have his time.

'I can't believe this,' I whispered, my hands shaking. Hunter wrapped his arm around me, placing his other hand on my now evidently growing tummy. I leaned my head on his shoulder, letting the tears fall silently. Hunter sniffled; I know he was hurting too.

Sam emerged from the room and into Hunter and mine's arms. I saw the nurses going in to prepare Joelle's body. 'I'm sorry Sam.' I choked out. He kissed my head and we stood in a huddle for what felt like forever. Sam wiped his eyes, and Devon and Matt emerged from the elevator. They hugged Sam without words.

'So, I made arrangements for the weekend,' Sam said as we sat around the kitchen table of mine and Hunter's house. 'Visitations will be Friday night, and Saturday morning. The funeral will be Saturday afternoon at the church on Main and Locke Streets.'

We all nodded, and Hunter spoke up, 'Let us know if there is anything we can do,' he said, holding my hand. I nodded and forced a smile.

'Well, I was thinking, Jenna...' his tear streaked face looked up at me, 'Would you sing? With Hunter, even.'

'Of course, Sam,' I agreed, 'Did you have a particular song in mind?'

He nodded, 'Drink a Beer, by Luke Bryan.'

'We will practice it,' Hunter replied. 'We would be honored.' The guys headed home and Hunter and I headed to the piano to practice. 'How are you feeling love?' Hunter asked, looking up the sheet music for the song.

'I feel like someone took my heart and ran it over with an eighteen wheeler,' I sniffled, 'I need some water, do you need anything?'

'A glass of water would be fine,' he replied, running his fingers over the keys. He ran through the song once and we split up parts. He will be singing the first verse and chorus, I would come in on the second verse and we would do the remaining choruses and third verse together. We practiced a few times, and as Hunter played, I felt a tickle in my tummy.

'Hunt, give me a hand,' I placed one of his hands on my tummy, and I ran my fingers across the keys.

Hunter's eyes got wide and his lips formed a smile. 'Do you like when mommy sings?' I laughed and we continued. We caught sight of the time, 'Wow, it's almost midnight.'

'Of course, and I'm feeling snacky.' I excused myself from the piano to find something to munch on in the kitchen. Hunter walked into the kitchen, looking through the pantry with me. I scanned the items, and decided to look in the fridge. I reached for a yogurt and grabbed some almonds out of the cupboard.

Hunter and I sat at the island in silence, still stunned from today's horrible events. 'I don't think anyone else understood me the way Joelle did." Nothing can replace our tour sleepovers, music-wifey date nights and the bond we shared. "She was the one who got me the pregnancy test, she was in our wedding less than a year ago..' my voice trailed off.

'I know it hurts babe. Nothing can replace what you shared, but you both have beautiful memories of each other." He said, rubbing my back as I finished my snack. 'Let's go to bed.' I nodded and followed Hunter up.

I slid into a pair of flats, examining my outfit in the mirror. The skies were grey over the city and I opted for my black maxi dress with the tee shirt sleeves . I reached for my purse and Hunter was buttoning up his dress shirt.