Holding Back

Mheetu's POV

I guess I should probably introduce myself.
My name is Mheetu, and I am a young male lion cub. I am now five months old and can talk fluently. I have teal coloured eyes like my mother and sister. I have light cream fur, and an even lighter cream underbelly, and a peach coloured nose.
My mother is Sarafina and my big sister is Nala. I'm very close with them. I'm not really sure who my dad is but I have been told that he doesn't live in the Pridelands, which is where I live.
My best friends name is Sauda and she was born on the exact same day as me. She acts like she's older than me, which is true, but my mommy told me that I'm only a few hours younger.

I don't mind living where I live, most of the lionesses are really nice, but one of them is really mean and her name is Zira. Mommy told me to stay away from her and also any hyenas. The hyenas are scary and their eyes glow in the dark which makes them even more creepy.
My mommy also doesn't trust the king. She says that he is ruining the Pridelands and not looking after the circle of life.

It is now late morning and the sun is very hot. I'm running around playing with my best friend, Sauda at the waterhole, while my mommy Sarafina, Sauda's mommy Sarabi, and Nala are sitting watching us. Tama, one of Nala's friends is also there. Sauda is a lot of fun, she always knows how to make my day better.

"Alright, I'll hide and you have to find me." She giggled in her sweet voice.

"Okay!"
I turned around. "One, two, three! Here I come!" I then began to search for Sauda. It wasn't very hard, she only had three seconds to hide. I noticed her bright red tail tuft sticking out of the long dead grass. I quickly pounced on her before she escaped and we both tumbled around until we fell on the ground. Both of us were laying on our backs laughing.

I chuckled. "Found you!"

She laughed and we both made our way back to our families. When we came out of the long grass, I saw that Tama had left and now Chumvi and Kula, two of Nala's other friends were there.

Sarabi noticed all the dirt on Sauda from rolling around. "Oh look at you Sauda! You're a mess! Come here, it's time for a bath."

"But Mom!" She complained but still did as she was told.

I saw Nala and her two friends get up and they started to play tag.

"Can I play?!" I asked coming up to them.

"Sure you can little Mheetu!" Kula said kindly. She was always nice to me. She says that I'm cute!

We then split up into teams. I was on Nala's team, and Kula and Chumvi were a team.
We began to play, I was good at dodging them because I was much smaller. They then began to chase Nala, knowing that they wouldn't be able catch me. I slowly followed to watch them tag Nala. When they caught her they all stood there together.

"Alright! You got me!" She said laughing. "But you still have to catch Mheetu." She said turning her head to face me.

Chumvi then said. "But he's so small and too fast for us."

"Yeah we would always be able to catch Simba when he was on your team." Kula said.

For some reason Nala changed from happy to really sad. She looked at the ground. "It's not the same." She said softly to her friend Kula. Nala's eyes began to fill up with tears. "He used to be on my team. We would always be a team."

Who is she talking about? I thought.

"A-And th-then." She trembled. "And then now he's gone!" She yelled crying. "I-I've b-been holding back for so long! Trying to be strong! But I can't do it anymore! I can't!" Tears were staining her cheeks as she continued on crying.

I felt so bad for my big sister, whatever she's talking about was obviously making her upset.

That night...

It was time for bed and my mom had just finished giving me and my sister our baths. We snuggled up to mothers side and we're about to go to sleep.

"Goodnight Mheetu." Nala whispered closing her eyes.

"Nala?" I asked.

"Yeah?" She replied opening her eyes again.

"Who was it that you were crying about today?" I whispered.

"His name was Simba...he was my best friend."

"What happened to him?" I asked.

"I don't want to talk about it." She said.

"Well...can you tell me something good about him then?"

She didn't have to think for too long to think of something great about him. "Once...he saved my life." She said.

"How?" I said with my complete attention to her.

"Well...Simba and I were being chased by hyenas...and I was sliding down the edge of a cliff not being able to get a grip on anything. He was already at the top of the cliff. I called out his name and he turned around and saw me about to get eaten up by one of the filthy hyenas. He was so brave." She smiled. "As I was about to get eaten, Simba ran down and scratched the hyenas face. He pulled me up and we ran away just in time."

"Wow." I said in amazement. "Simba sounds like a great lion."

"Well he wasn't a full grown lion. He was only born two days before I was. So we were the same age and grew up together. The rest I would rather not tell you about...it's too sad and your too young."

"Okay." Was all I said and then snuggled up to my sister.

"Mheetu, I love you." She said giving me a sweet nuzzle.

"I love you too." I said and snuggled up to her closing my eyes.