Going Home

⬆️Music

Simba

"Hey, wait!" I call out, chasing the monkey.

When I finally catch up to him, I notice that he is in a meditative position, on a rock.

"You knew my father?" I ask, while trying to catch my breath.

"Correction, I know your father."

I have to tell him,"I hate to tell you this, but... he died. A long time ago."

The monkey leaps off the rock over to a dense jungle-like area.

"Nope. Wrong again! Hah hah hah! He's alive-- and I'll show him to you. You follow old Rafiki, he knows the way. Come on!" He Signals for me to follow, and leads me through the brush. I have trouble keeping up due to my size, it's extremely difficult to crawl through vines and run at the same time.

"Don't dawdle.... Hurry up!" He calls out.

"Hey, whoa. Wait, wait," I say continuing to struggle.

"Come on. Come on!"

"Would you slow down?" I yell.

I can see the Mandrill is flitting through the canopy ahead of me. He's laughing hollowly and whooping, while I find it hard to keep up. Suddenly, the monkey appears with his hand held up right in front of my face.

"STOP!" He says. I stop and the front of my mane flicks over my eyes.

We made our way slowly near some reeds.

"​Shhh." He parts the reeds and points past them with his staff (stick). "Look down there."

I quietly and carefully work my way out. I look over the edge and see my reflection in a pool of water. At first I'm a bit startled, perhaps at my own mature appearance, but then realise what I'm looking at.

I become disappointed, "That's not my father. That's just my reflection."

"Noo. Look ... harder," he tells me in a gentle voice and motions over the pond. Ripples form, distorting my reflection, they resolve into my fathers face. My eyes widen.

There is a deep rumbling noise.

​"You see ... he lives in you." The Mandrill says quietly.

I become awestruck. The wind picks up. In the air a huge image of my father is forming from the clouds. He appears to be walking from the stars. He looks ghostly at first, but suddenly gains color.

"Simba . . ." My dad's voice is deep and low, exactly how I remember it.

"Father?" I ask.

He looks disappointed. "Simba, you have forgotten me."

I shake my head. I would never forget my father. "No. How could I?"

"You have forgotten who you are, and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the Circle of Life." He tells me sternly.

"How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be." I tell him.

I take a moment to take in the view of him. His eyes glow and swirling clouds, radiating golden light surround him. "Remember who you are. You are my son, and the one true king."

The golden light shines on me, I feel a mixture of awe, fear, and sadness.

My father starts to fade. "Remember who you are." He is disappearing into the clouds fast.

I run into the fields trying to keep up with him. "No! Please! Don't leave me."

"Remember..." Says my father, who continues to fade away.

"Father!"

"Remember..." He repeats.

"Don't leave me."

"Remember . . ."

He is gone, and I'm left out in the fields. There is just a cloud left where my father was. The wind tosses the grass restlessly.

The monkey approaches "What was that? The weather-- Pbbbah! Very peculiar. Don't you think?" He asks.

I need to go back home. "Yeah. Looks like the winds are changing." I answer the mandrill.

"Ahhh, change is good."

"Yeah, but it's not easy." I say.
"I know what I have to do. But, going back means I'll have to face my past. I've been running from it for so long...."

I then feel a great amount of pain. The crazy monkey just smacked me on the head with his staff.

"Oww! Jeez-- what was that for?" I yell.

"It doesn't matter, it's in the past!" He laughs.

I run the top of my head. "Yeah, but it still hurts."

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it... or ... learn from it."

He swings at me with his staff again. This time I duck, learning from the last experience.

"Hah! You see?" He laughs.  "So what are you going to do?"

I smirk. "First... I'm going to take your stick." I pick up the stick in my mouth and toss it to the side.

"No, no, no, no! Not the stick!"

As the mandrill picks up his staff, I take this as my chance to start making my way on the long awaited journey towards my one and only true home.

"Hey! Where are you going?!" The mandrill questions.

"I'm going back!" I shout out.

"Good! Go on! Get out of here!" He Says and I can hear him laughing and hooting as I continue to run.

Looking up at the sky I notice two shooting stars and make a wish.
__________________
Remember to vote! 😁