Chapter 22

Camila and I have just landed back in Miami and we are in the car on the way to her parents house. She told her mom that she was coming and that she had someone for her to meet. I'm nervous to meet the potentially very homophobic family but not nearly as nervous as Camila is.

I just know that no matter what happens I have to make sure that Camila is okay throughout today. If things start taking a turn for the worst, I will say something and stand up for her... even if they are her parents.

....

After a 20 minute car ride we arrived at her parents house. Camila seemed to already be in a state of panic when I looked at her so I grabbed her hand and rubbed the back of it with my thumb. "It's going to be okay. I'm not gonna let them break you or us down, okay?."

She nodded slowly. "Okay."

"Okay baby, lets go." I said before giving her a kiss on her cheek.

We got out of the car and walked slowly towards the front door, hand in hand the whole way up. When we got there Camila seemingly froze so I leaned forward and knocked.

After a minute we heard someone shuffling behind the door before it opened widely to reveal Camila's mother.

"Mija!" She yelled in excitement as she hugged her.

"Hey mami." Camila responded, letting go of my hand to hug her mother.

"I haven't seen you in months. I missed you." Her mom continued.

"I know, I know I missed you too Mami." Camila responded timidly.

Camila's mother then looked over towards me and stepped away from Camila. "And who's this?" She asked.

"Oh, yeah. Mami this is Y/N... she's the girl I've been on this tour with." Camila explained.

"Nice to meet you Mrs. Cabello." I said shaking her hand, she smiled politely in return.

"Alright you two, come in." She said energetically. We did as instructed and went into the living room. We sat down on the couch together opposite the chair her mom was sitting in.

We sat in silence for a split second until Camila spoke up, "where is papi?" She asked curiously.

"At work." Her mom replied simply

Camila nodded. "Well I actually came here to tell you both something."

"What is it?" Her mom asked curiously.

Camila seemingly froze for a second before speaking, "Uh,well...you see, uh...Me and...uh Y/N are together."

"Like, in a relationship?" She asked confused.

Camila nodded slowly.

"Why?" Sinu asked simply. "You are such a pretty girl, there are plenty of men who would be with you."

I sat there in silence and shocked by those words as Camila spoke up again. "Yeah sure there are but Y/N makes me happy." She responded timidly. I grabbed her hand to comfort her.

Sinu looked at our now intertwined hands and rolled her eyes slightly. "How could she make you happy?" Sinu scoffed. "A man and a woman are supposed to be together. It's just how it works." Camila just looked down. "I want grandchildren and it's not going to happen if you are with her. Don't you want kids."

"Yes Mami. But-" sinu cut her off.

"But nothing. Then you should find a man who can provide that for you."