Chapter 7

Sometimes, life is like a dream. One minute you're skipping in a meadow, the next you're drowning in an ocean. You suffer as you watch these awful images play in your mind, and you can't wait to wake up so the nightmare will be over. But what happens when you can't tell the difference between reality and your nightmare, and your life is worse than it was in your dream? You can't escape it, all you can do is watch everything you've earned slip away. Everything you've worked for, everything that gave you some type of happiness. And it's gone. Everything you've loved, is gone.

10:52 am. Sunday:

I picked up my phone once I saw it was ringing.

"Open your front door."

"You shouldn't be here, go. Before they see you," I said as I hid in the basement.

"I'm not going anywhere until you let me in this house. Your choice."

I scurried upstairs and opened the front door, pulled Justin in, and slammed it shut again while locking every latch it had.

"I told you not to come here anymore," I said through gritted teeth.

"I needed to see you," he reached out for my face but I backed away.

"It's never going to be the same," I said, feeling tears in my eyes. "When your reputation is ruined in a small town, it's gone. Forever. I'm never going to get that back."

"Stop. No one knows. You're not found yet, Jess." He slowly pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you."

18 hours earlier.

4:52 am. Saturday:

I hung up on Morgan and dropped the phone.

How could this be happening?

I started pacing around the room, absolutely bawling my eyes out.

"Jess? Really, what's going on? Do you need to talk?" I heard Justin's voice on the other side of the door, full of sincerity.

"Sorry, I'll be out in a minute!" I wiped my cheeks, and tried to make it look like I hadn't been crying. Once I heard Justin walking away, I took two deep breaths and opened the door.

Walking into the kitchen, I distracted myself as Justin stared at me.

"What'd you decide on for dinner?" I finally looked up.

"Um, is pizza okay?" He was cutting tomatoes on a cutting board.

I forced a laugh. "Pizza's always okay."

"Who were you talking to?" He said finally.

"Hm?" I got cheese out of the fridge.

"You know what I'm talking about," he said, suddenly serious.

I looked at him, taken back. "Morgan."

"Weren't you mad at her or something?" His eyes followed me around the kitchen as I turned on the oven and walked back over.

"It's over now, she's a good friend."

"Okay?" He said, and I could tell he knew something was up.

"Got any plans for tomorrow?" I changed the subject as much as possible.

"Um," he started, still confused. "Just to be with you."

My heart skipped a beat. "Yeah, that's what I was thinking too."

He finally cracked a small smile. "Do you want to go out to lunch or something?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I was thinking that we could go to that coffee shop on the pier."