Chapter 20

"She's," I took a step back, not being able to believe it. "She's your girlfriend?"

"Justin?" She cuddled into his chest, making me want to throw up. "Who is she?"

"No one." Justin stroked her hair. "She's no one."

I looked at him in complete disbelief, feeling a hot tear roll down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away. "I-" I tried to talk through my tears. "I'm sorry." I whispered before turning on my heels, walking back down the hallway.

"Give me a minute, okay?" I heard Justin say in his sweet voice he used to use with me. I walked faster, not wanting to start bawling here.

"Jess," he said lowly but I didn't turn around. "Jess," he grabbed my arm, spinning me around.

"Don't fucking touch me," I hissed, ripping my arm out of his grasp. He looked at me with big, sad eyes. "Riley? That girl who sent you that letter?"

He didn't say anything.

"You," I paused. "You said she was your ex girlfriend-" I stopped, not knowing what else to say.

He opened his mouth but nothing came out. He was speechless.

"I should've known," I scoffed. "When we were on my balcony, you were talking so highly of her. It was so sweet, and I remember thinking, 'Wow, I wonder what he'd say about me to someone else.'"

He still didn't say anything, just slouched his shoulders.

"Not even to mention how much shit I went through to find you," I choked out. "I cared about you so much."

"You really drove all the way here for me?" He whispered.

"Oh, no. I stayed up all night trying to call you, borrowed Morgan's car, drove all the way here, went to every motel, slept in my car until this one opened, and snuck behind the computer to see if you had a room booked here." I breathed out. "That's what I did for you."

He was speechless; hurt. He knew he messed up. Or maybe he didn't, I didn't know what to think about him anymore.

"I'm sorry for whatever I did," I choked on my sobs, a shaky hand coming up to wipe my face. "I'm so sorry."

He still didn't say anything, which confirmed my answer. I gave him a nod before heading towards the stairs. Opening the door, I turned back to see if he'd say anything. When he didn't, I shook my head sadly, letting the door slam behind me. Jogging down a flight of stairs, I stopped once I reached the landing, and slid down the wall, bringing my knees to my chest. I sobbed into my knees, realization dawning on me that my life really did suck. I just wanted to die. I didn't want to be here any longer.

After several minutes of letting my emotions out, I brought myself to my feet, trying to pull myself together. I pushed open the door at the bottom of the stairs, heading towards the front door of the lobby.

"Find who you were looking for?" The receptionist smiled.

I turned around, her face dropping once she saw my expression. "Yeah," I sighed. "I did."

"Is everything okay?" Concern laced her words.

I smiled faintly. "Yeah."

Realizing I should probably say something further, I couldn't help but appreciate how she helped me.

"Thank you," my voice cracked. "For everything."

"No problem," she flashed her beautiful smile. I was almost to the door when she spoke up again. "Hey," she said softly. "Um, if you need anything," she scribbled down on a sticky note. "Here's my number. I know I shouldn't give this out to strangers, but I'm a rule breaker." She giggled.