Chapter 16

Today was the day.

The day I went to prison.

The day my life ended.

The day that's been haunting me for the past 8 months of my life.

I clenched the sides of the sink in my hands and looked at myself in the mirror, staring into my blue eyes. I sucked in a sharp breath between my teeth, knowing I had to get ready for this awful event.

I brushed my teeth slowly, not having enough energy to do it any faster.

I think the sadness of this situation is beyond me, and all that's left is depression. All the tears have already been cried. All that was left was a motionless human being.

I finished brushing my teeth and tried to decide what to do with myself. Should I look nice? Should I not even try since it's my last day of freedom?

This is the last time you'll get to dress up in your life. Do it.

I sighed and went to my closet, knowing this would be the last time I'd see it. I picked out a dress that was long sleeve, with white lace on the upper half while it flowed into a blue at the bottom. I went back to the bathroom and did big waves in my hair, adding mascara to my eyelashes.

This is it. The only other thing you'll see yourself wearing is an orange jumpsuit.

I slumped down the stairs one at a time, wanting to die. There was no point in living if I was going to spend every single day in a prison cell.

I poured some coffee, hoping to awaken my senses a bit. Nothing seemed to be working.

I could only imagine how prison life would be. I bet it's exactly like everyone imagines it to be, I mean we have that image for a reason right?

I downed my coffee and headed for the front door, saying my final goodbye to this house I've called home my whole life. My whole entire life.

I held my head high and shut the door, knowing I'd never open it again. I walked down the street, and surprisingly, it felt freeing. Yeah, I received worried and dirty looks from the people I walked past, but this is the first time in so long I've gotten to walk in the open with no worries. Because even though I was going to jail, it was over. It was finally over.

As I keep walking, I pay no attention to the people who walk on the opposite side of the street just to be completely away from me. The moms who grab their children and rush away from me, as if I'd murder their kids too. But that's the thing: I didn't murder someone. I saved myself from getting murdered, and those are two completely different things.

There are people who kill others for no reason whatsoever. Men go after innocent children, and murder them with no regrets. Women kill their husbands in their sleep. And me? If I could go back, I would've let Jake kill me. Then he would be the one who had to go in hiding, and he would be the one going to jail. Which is something he deserved, way, way more than I did.

As I open the door to the courthouse, I realize how many people are going to be here for me. None. I already lost Justin, then Sharon. And even if I didn't, that's two people. Not enough to keep me out of jail, but it's better than none.

I stood in front of the closed courtroom door, and let out a deep breath.

This is where it ends.

I placed my hand on the handle of the door. I could imagine it now: I'd walk in and there'd be tons of people on the opposing side and no one on my side. Just me against the world.