Chapter 21

I lay in bed, at my own home for that matter, trying to sleep. I had gone to Justin's house once I got back in town, and gotten most of my clothes. I was going to make a second trip over to get the rest of my things, but I was too tired to stand. But now, nonetheless, I couldn't sleep. My mind was spinning with so many thoughts. All I wanted was to sleep and never wake up.

It was about 9:30 in the morning, and I felt weird trying to sleep at this time. Normally I'd be getting ready for work.

I thought of Whitney, and how she's in the same building as Justin right now and she doesn't even know. Or how nice she was for letting me in. Not that it mattered anyway, I actually wished I wouldn't have looked for him in the first place.

Flashbacks came flooding into my brain from that night I found the letter, and how empty I felt.

I opened the closet doors which made me realize how small it really was. I saw some things laying on a shelf on top, so I thought maybe I could move them to the floor to make more room. I stood on a chair and grabbed what I could, which was dusty books and magazines. I laid them on the floor and coughed, the dust getting to me. I finally took the last stack of books when an envelope fluttered to the ground. I slowly stepped off of the chair and set down the books, grabbing the envelope. It looked somewhat newer, but maybe it's because it was the only thing in the closet that wasn't dusty. I opened it, unfolding it in my hands.

Dear Justin,

Hi baby. I miss you. I hope I got the right address. I just was wondering how things have been going, it's been hard in Denver ever since you ran away. I heard you ran into your dad, that must have been scary. I miss you so much, just the thought of you makes me happy. I can't stop thinking about you. Do you remember the first time you kissed me? Brings back so many memories. You're the most romantic person, god it's hard to survive without you. I hope you haven't found anyone better than me, because remember, you're mine. Please come home soon, or take me with you. I love you so much Justin.

Love, Riley.

He sounded so convincing, so trustworthy. Like Riley was complete old news, which made me so relieved. I blame myself for being so stupid.

I walked into the kitchen, holding the letter. Justin was wiping the counters, and turned around once he saw me standing there.

Neither of us said anything, so I finally decided to break the silence. "Who's Riley?" I whispered.

"Huh?"

I paused, a little heartbroken. "I thought we had something." I said quietly.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

I put the letter on the counter. He opened it and looked up wide eyed. I felt my eyes burn, I didn't know why I was so stupid to think he liked me.

"Jess," he said.

I paused, trying not to cry. "I'll pack," I choked out, walking back to my room.

"Jess!" He walked quickly after me.

I tried slamming the door but he caught it. "You don't do that!" I yelled. "You don't take me places, or let me stay here, or do me favors, and you definitely do not kiss me like that if you have a damn girlfriend!"

He didn't say anything, just looked at me with regret. "Can we just talk?"

"We've done enough," I walked back into my room not bothering to shut the door, knowing he wouldn't let that happen.