Chapter 29

"I was walking into my house when I was on the phone with you," Justin explained. "Before you had found Riley, I was moving my luggage to my car. I was drinking water from this cup." He showed me the cup. "I know for a fact it was this one, because I remember thinking of how this was the one you used when you came to my house for the first time."

I giggled a little. "You remember that?"

"We're getting off topic," he shook his head. "Then you called me, telling me Riley was hurt and you needed me to come over. I did of course, but all I remember is helping Riley up to your room. That's seriously it Jess."

"What are you saying?"

"When I was talking to you a few minutes ago, I was just coming back from the market-"

"Why'd you freak out and tell me to come over?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Because," he guided me into the kitchen. "I found this sitting on my counter next to the cup I used yesterday."

He gave me a small package of something, but I couldn't figure it out. "So?"

"Jess, that's the drug I used on you."

I dropped it to the floor, my heart plummeting. "What does this mean?"

"It means someone knows I drugged you, and they used the same drug on me before I came over last night. That's why I don't remember-" his eyes suddenly met mine, his hand brushing my swollen cheek slightly. "Did I do this to you?" He whispered.

I didn't know what to say. It wasn't really his fault, I didn't want him to feel any more guilty than he was. "I'm really okay-"

"God damn it," he hissed, running a hand through his hair. "You have to believe me. I would never hurt you." His eyes were frantic; scared.

I smiled faintly. "I do."

"I just-"

Ring.

He sighed, looking into my eyes. I was just glad it wasn't my phone that was ringing this time. "One sec."

I nodded as he answered it, walking further into the living room.

"What? Are you okay?" I faintly heard. "Yeah, yeah I know. I'm- I'm so sorry. Are you sure you're okay? Mom?"

A spark of interest flooded through my brain. He got a phone call from his mom when I was in the hospital too. It made me wonder how their relationship was before he moved here.

He came back into the kitchen, taking me off guard. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. My mom just," he paused. "Fell."

"What? Is she okay?" I stepped closer.

"She's going to be fine." He said quickly. "So I was wondering-"

Ring.

I rolled my eyes. "One sec?"

He chuckled, nodding.

I walked into the living room now and answered my phone, more than pissed off at all the calls I've been getting lately. "What?" I hissed.

"Oh, um, sorry Jessica. It's Brad. I just wanted you to know that I'm staying another week, and you can keep my car until I leave. It seems like you'll need it more than I do."

"Oh, are you sure? You don't have to do that-"

"I want to." He replied. "Besides, I like walking around here anyway. It all reminds me of your mom."