Chapter 32

I was in the passenger seat of Brad's car while Justin was driving. Sharon had called me an hour ago and said she wanted to talk to me and Justin alone, which sounded weird to me. Her and Justin had only met a couple of times, so I wasn't sure why she would want both of us to come to her house. As weird as it sounds, I had never been to Sharon's house before. She had been to mine multiple times, trust me. I guess I just never had any intentions of going to her place.

Justin was silent the whole way there, but I could see why. Everyone was so uptight. It was crazy. There had been so much going on, so many attempts at murders. Everyone was seriously on edge.

I tried to hold his hand a couple times to calm him down, but he never held mine back the way he usually does. He usually would interlace his fingers with mine and kiss the back of my hand sweetly. But this time, I would try to hold his hand tight and he would just lay his limp, not in the mood I guess. It made me sad to see him this quiet.

After the ambulance had come to the shop yesterday, I was kicking and screaming trying to make them let me in the back of the vehicle, but they wouldn't let me. They wouldn't even let me see her when she was in the hospital room, because it was family only. It seriously broke my heart.

It seems as though everyone in town was aware of all the attempts of murders. The population had decreased immensely since two weeks ago. Not that I blame them, I wouldn't want my children and the rest of my family to be living in a place so sick and twisted either.

Justin pulled up to a blue cottage might have been the smallest house I've ever seen. He checked the address I had given him and looked back at the house. "This is it."

I blinked a couple times. "Are you sure?"

He sighed. "Positive."

He got out of the car before I did and walked around, opening mine for me. I grabbed his hand and hoisted myself out, walking up the pathway that led to her front door.

We walked up two creaky steps that felt as though they'd break at any given time. Justin walked up to the door, knocking twice. He quickly stepped back beside me and wrapped his arm around my waist.

I heard some scrambling before the door swung open, revealing a flustered Sharon.

"Hi!" She said, holding open the screen door. "Come in, come in!" She waved her hand to bring us in her direction.

Walking past the small kitchen counter she had, I decided to bring Justin to the little dining room table.

"Okay," she huffed out, sitting across from us. "I wanted you guys to come here so I could fill you in on a couple of things."

Justin's hand clenched mine under the table, which I rubbed my thumb in his palm to calm him down. I could tell he was trying to be as quiet as possible.

"So," she folded her hands. "Good news or bad news?"

Justin scoffed. "Good."

"Okay," she smiled softly. "The case on Jake's vandalized room has been dropped."

Justin's mouth hung open slightly, snapping his head in my direction. "Did you hear that?"

I giggled. "Yes."

He laughed out of happiness, smiling uncontrollably.

"Mrs. Gates is going to Miami for a month, and didn't want to deal with this case while she was on vacation. Once the case is dropped, you can't just pick up where you left off. So it's officially done."

Justin smiled so wide, both of his hands wrapping around my right one.

Sharon's smile slowly started to fade. "Then there's the bad news."

Both of our smiles vanished completely, the only happy moment we've had in a long time; gone.

"I don't know how to put this," she shook her head. "As you guys know, I'm a detective. I've been working on this case of trying to find Jess' mom for years and-" she stopped and gave me an apologetic look, as if saying sorry for bringing it up. "I have a pretty good idea of what's up."

"What do you mean?" Justin whispered.

She sighed for what seemed like the millionth time. "People have been getting stabbed lately. Not shot, not beat, stabbed. It takes a lot to stab someone. And usually, three people don't get stabbed all in a row like that."

We stared at her, waiting for her to continue.

"There was Riley, Jennifer from your community service, and Brooklyn. Do you get what this means?"

I shook my head.

She looked into my eyes. "They're all connected to you, Jess."

The familiar feeling of my heart stopping, breathing faltering, and a lump in my throat came all at once.

"I can't prove anything yet, but I'm so sure. Why else would they happen so closely together time wise, and why would you be the only person that knows them?"

"How do you know it's a connection with me for sure?" I panted out. "What about Justin? He knew Riley."

"Justin didn't know your student Jennifer, and he never even met Brooklyn. The person who tried to kill these people is sending you a message, Jess."

There was a moment of silence where we all let the words sink in.

"And what does the message say?" I whispered.

"You're next."

__________________________

"Hello?"

"I- I couldn't see, it was dark in the room, I-"

"Who is this?" I started to panic when I answered the phone to an unknown number.

"B- Brooklyn."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in, instantly relieved.

"Brooklyn, oh my gosh. Are you okay?"

"The doctor said I'll be fine. I need to be in the hospital for two more week though."

"I'm so sorry," I said, feeling like I was somewhat responsible for this.

"It's not your fault," she said, practically reading my mind. "Jess," she whispered.

"Yes? What, are you okay? What's going on-"

"I'm fine," she giggled softly, then stopped, suddenly becoming serious. "It was a man. There's no way a woman could've been that... strong."

I gulped, this being the last thing I wanted to hear.

"The lights were off, and he stabbed me and left. That was it, like it was no big deal." She paused, the sound of her soft breathing coming through the phone. "It was so scary Jess."

"It's going to be okay," I said, trying more to convince myself than her. "I'll visit you as soon as I can."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

___________________________

NOTE:

alright i'm sorry this chapter was kinda boring. (at least it was for me anyway lol) but i feel like you guys will kinda like the next one. i luh yew.

twitter: @avonsshawtyy

next update: thursday, the 4th.