Chapter 30

"2 hours my ass," Sharon hissed as I walked through the door.

"I'm so sorry," I stressed, taking off my shoes. "I didn't think it was going to take that long."

"Riley is in room 275 at the hospital in Holly Ridge. You should visit her if you get a chance," she put on her coat.

"Thank you, for everything," I paused, looking at my feet.

Sharon sighed, walking over to me. "Listen, you don't need to thank me. I just can't stress enough how sick and unsafe this town has become. Riley got stabbed, then a student in your class. I mean what's next? You need to be extremely careful."

I nodded. "I know."

"Not to mention Hampstead has the worst policemen in the entire world," she threw the hands up in annoyance. "They couldn't help if they tried."

"I'll be okay. Thanks again."

She faintly smiled and walked out, shutting the door behind her.

I followed not too far behind her, decided to take Brad's car once more. Visiting Riley might be a little awkward, but it's the least I could do. She deserved at least one person that cared.

My phone rang as I drove out of my driveway, my finger I sloppily answering it. "Hello?"

"Where's Justin?"

I sighed heavily. "Honestly, enough. Who the hell is this anyway? Leave Justin and me both alone."

I hung up, rolling my eyes. I watched out the window as dark gray clouds rolled in, the road never ending in front of me.

_________________________________________

"Room 275," the receptionist said. "Elevator is to the left.

Thanking her, I headed into the hallway that led to the elevator, pressing the button. I took a breath once I got in front of her door, hoping she wouldn't be upset to see me.

I knocked softly, smiling while I entered. My eyes widened a little when I saw Justin and a women I've never seen before, both sitting on the edge of Riley's bed.

"Oh, hi," I said awkwardly.

"Jess," Justin smiled warmly. "Um, this is my mom. Pattie."

My heart stopped beating in my chest, I felt like I couldn't move. "Oh, hi! I'm Jess, it's so nice to meet you," I walked over and shook her hand eagerly, probably scaring her.

It's hard for me to be put in situations like this. I don't have any parents, so it's not like any boyfriend I have could ever meet my mom like I'm meeting Justin's right now. When I dated Jake, I met his mom properly but that obviously didn't turn out.

I cared about Justin a lot, and I wanted to make the best impression possible.

"You too," she smiled widely. She was beautiful.

I looked over at Riley who seemed to look worse than she's ever been if that was even possible. She was hooked up to a bunch of machines, her eyes made of fear.

"How are you feeling?" I asked quietly while sitting down next to her hand.

She stared at me for quiet some time before I realized how stupid I just sounded.

"Don't answer that," I laughed nervously. "You look great."

Okay, so I lied. She's basically on her death bed, she needs some words of encouragement.

"Um, Justin?" Pattie whispered. "Would it be okay if I could talk to you and Jessica in the cafeteria for a minute?"

I swear I stopped breathing for the time being. Talk about what?