Six

As we got back to our place, Chica barked happy to see the five of us, but when she saw how Mark looked, she immediately stopped barking and whined.

"It's okay Chica." Mark assured her. "Daddy's okay!"
"Mark, I can't get this wounds to stitch up!" Amy stated. "They keep bleeding through!"
"Well, just keep trying!" Mark demanded.
"I've tried!" Amy exclaimed. "Nothing's working! I'm sorry Mark, but we need to get you to the hospital!"
"I'm not going to a hospital!" Mark shouted.
"It's either that or you die Mark!" Amy shouted back.
"GIVE ME THE DAMN THING!" Kathryn intervened. "If I can stitch him back together, no hospital. But if I can't, we go to the hospital! No more arguing!"

Everybody stayed silent as Kathryn began to try and stitch Mark's wounds. Mark looked over at me.

"How're you feeling kid?" Mark asked me.
"I feel okay." I responded. "I guess still a little shaken up from that ghoul trying to attack me."
"Were you nervous at all or anything?" Mark asked. "Afraid?"
"Not really no..." I said, "I felt more adrenaline induced than anything."
"Then maybe it was your scent that caught him off guard." Mark explained. "Usually ghouls attack humans if they have good scents. If not that, they attack the most scared."
"Humans have scents?" I asked.
"They can smell your blood and depending on what type of blood you have, they could consider you their next meal." Mark explained.

I nodded. Of course I knew that. I'm the type of ghoul who doesn't care about blood types. If there's a human and they smell good, I go after them. I don't study what type of blood they have.

"A-And why are you afraid of going to a hospital?" I asked.
Mark sighed, "It's not just because I had to watch my parents die in one, but every time I go there, there's always an innocent victim dying from being attacked by a ghoul. Sometimes they're kept alive for research, almost like torture. I can't bear to witness anything like that anymore. Which is why I rely on you guys to try and patch me up so I don't have to."
"Well..." Kathryn interrupted. "I hate to admit it Mark, but I've tried my best and you're bleeding pretty heavily."
"Well keep trying!" Mark exclaimed.
"Mark I can't go any deeper with the stitching and you're bleeding out!" Kathryn explained. "If we don't take you to a hospital now you're going to die!"

Mark was silent for a minute. But Amy, Kathryn and Tyler didn't like the silence. So without letting him give an answer, they grabbed Mark and began forcing him outside and into the car. I went over and helped to A's Mark began screaming and yelling at us. Finally, they got Mark into the car.

Amy looked over at me.

"Hey, would you mind staying and looking after Chica?" Amy asked.
"Sure." I nodded.

Amy smiled as she headed into the car. I watched as the car pulled out of the driveway and drove off. I then headed back inside, where I immediately heard Chica growling at me over in the corner.

"Don't worry Chica." I kept assuring her. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

I walked over to her and reached my arm out so I could pet her. But before I thought I could finally pet her head, she bit the side of my hand and I screamed in pain.

After a few moments I decided to give it another try.

"Chica, don't worry girlie... I'm not going to hurt you. I don't hurt animals like you, and I won't hurt your friends." I assured her.

I grew nervous as I was finally able to pet the rest of her head, but as soon as I did. Chica closed her eyes, as if she was enjoying it. She then laid down and I gave her belly a rub. I smiled.

"Good girl! Good girl!" I smiled.
---
A few hours later, I looked up as the sun was beginning to rise over the horizon. I then heard the phone ringing. I didn't know the number but I answered it anyway.