Thirty-Six

ETHAN

I opened my eyes, the sun's rays blinding me through the tree leaves.

Tree leaves?? This isn't right.

I quickly sat up from wherever I was laying. My heart pounding and my eyes widening as I found myself at my house... again!

This was the same dream I had after I had thought Mark had killed me. Why is this happening again?

I stood up and walked over to my house, deciding to do the same thing I did last time. I would go into the house and into the kitchen, where I would hopefully reunite with my dad again.

But as I walked onto the front porch and tried opening the door, it wouldn't open. It was locked.

I tried knocking and ringing the doorbell. Nobody was answering.

"Hello? Anybody home? It's me, Ethan!"

"Hello, Ethan..."

I turned around, noticing my dad and the rest of my family behind him.

"Dad, what's going on?" I asked.
He sighed, "Son, we love you... we always have and always will... but unfortunately, you cannot come here anymore..."
"Wh-What do you mean?" I asked.
"You've changed." Dad explained. "Things are much different for you than it was before, and things are much different for us as well."
"Y-You mean because I'm human?" I asked. "Th-That wasn't my choice! I thought I was going to die! The doctors just randomly decided to do this to me!"
"We know it is not your fault, and we are not blaming you for any of this." Dad said. "But unfortunately, we have to part ways, for all our sake..."
"Please, Dad... don't leave me like this..." I begged.

They all began walking away from me.

"Dad, Mom, Andrew, please wait!" I said.

Suddenly, they faded away until there was no sign of them.

I stood there, completely silent, tears forming in my eyes. If this is for real this time, if I am really dead and this dream is now my reality, I don't want any part of it. If this was all a dream again and just that, I hope none of that was real, and that my family still accepts me for what I have become.

MARK

We were finally brought back into the hospital room Ethan was placed in. Neither of us said a word to one another as we waited for Ethan to wake up. I looked over at the spot where he was bitten, which was covered by bandages and a neck brace.

Flashbacks brought me back to when Tyler was this way, when he was human. Oh, the unnecessary irony.

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard Ethan moaning as he slowly opened his eyes. We all stood up around his bedside, being careful not to surround him fully.

As his eyes fully opened, he looked at the three of us.

"Hey guys..." Ethan moaned.
"Hey, how do you feel?" Amy asked.
Ethan let out a slight chuckle, "Like I had been bitten on the side the neck."
He then grew more serious, "What happened afterwards? Where's Tyler?"
"We don't know where Tyler is but as soon as you got bitten, Tyler was brought out of the room and doctors came in and patched you up." I said.
"How bad was everything?" I asked.
"It was very scary, but after they told us you would be okay, things became better." Kathryn said.

We noticed Dr. Carson come in. A big, unnecessary grin on his face.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Nestor." Dr. Carson said. "Good to see you're awake, how do you feel?"
"I guess I feel fine." Ethan said.
"Any pain in the neck area?" The doctor asked.
"It does hurt a little..." Ethan said.
"Then we will definitely get you something for that." The doctor said.

Suddenly, the door opened, and we noticed Tyler and Dr. Morgan standing by the doorway.

"Tyler!" Amy exclaimed.
"Excuse me, what are you two doing here?" Dr. Carson asked.
"Mr. Scheid requested to see Mr. Nestor as soon as possible." Dr. Morgan stated.
"It is too soon for him to be seeing Ethan, he is still recovering and has just woken up." Dr. Carson argued.
"With all due respect, it'll only be a few minutes." Dr. Morgan said.

Dr. Carson was silent for a moment before sighing and leaving the room. Amy, Kathryn and I didn't know what to do. But Dr. Morgan motioned for us to leave as well, so we did. The door closing behind us.

I immediately grew uncomfortable, especially since there were no windows to watch through this time.

What were they planning on doing in there? To Tyler? To Ethan?

ETHAN

My heart slowly began to race as it was just me, Tyler and Dr. Morgan in the room. I felt okay with it considering there was a doctor in here this time, and since Tyler was wearing a mask.

"Hey Ethan..." Tyler said.
"H-Hey Tyler." I responded. "A-Are you alright?"
"I should be asking that to you." Tyler said. "I feel so bad for everything that I did to you..."
"Hey... it's alright." I assured him. "I know what it's like, and I know you're only just getting used to everything."
"But... the taste of your blood, your scent was really good." Tyler said. "I-I just couldn't help myself."
"You'll get used to it eventually." I told him. "I-I know that I'm human now, but I can still try and help you."
"I appreciate it Ethan." Tyler said. "But I think I got this."

Tyler then suddenly sat at the end of the bed. My heart racing even more and my eyes widening as Dr. Morgan was trying to get him to stop, but it was already too late.

He had already taken the mask off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys!

Sorry for almost a month of not updating. I've just A) Been busy with school and work B) Had writers block and C) Been thinking about this story and how I've seemed to have been dragging it on instead of ending it already. I feel like I should have ended it on chapter 28 or added another chapter or an epilogue and then be done with it. But because I wanted to have both characters be alive, I wanted another interesting plot twist and now it's become too much. I'm hoping I can try and figure something out to end this story on a good note. If I can't, I will probably delete these chapters up until 28 and then leave it there instead. I'll let you know if that does end up happening.

To those of you still reading this story though, thank you, I'm sorry for the delay, and I hope you understand.

More to come!
~Jackir30