Twenty-Five

As soon as we went into the emergency room waiting area, we walked up to Amy and Kathryn, who's faces were red from crying. My heart nearly stopped, this couldn't have been good.

"W-What happened?" Mark asked.
"They're saying that there's not that much time left..." Kathryn choked.
"How long?" I asked.
"At least another couple hours..." Amy responded.

Mark and I looked at each other.

"Where did you guys go?" Amy asked.
"We confronted Signe." I explained. "It turns out she's a leviathan, and she poisoned the ghoul's blood back at the old station."
"Why the hell was she here?" Kathryn asked. "She didn't do shit!"
"She told us of a way that we could save Tyler." I continued.

Suddenly, I noticed the expression on Amy and Kathryn's faces light up. They were suddenly hopeful.

"What is it?" Kathryn asked.
I sighed, "A ghoul can either drain their own blood or take out their own organs and put it into the other body... but the ghoul will die in the process."

Their faces dropped again. As if they knew that already wasn't going to happen.

"We don't have time to find a ghoul willing to do that..." Mark responded. "And I don't want to have Ethan do it either."
"There's been apparent consequences in the past when experiments were done." I continued. "And either way, I wouldn't want to have Tyler go through what I'm going through as a ghoul."
"Can't you just go out and try and kill a ghoul and bring its body back or something to transplant the organs?" Kathryn asked.
"The ghoul has to be living in order to perform it." Mark answered.
"Then there's no hope." Amy mumbled.

Kathryn suddenly became emotional again. Amy put her arm around her shoulder and Kathryn cried into it as they walked back into the ICU area, where Tyler was being kept.

Mark and I looked over at each other.

"Are you sure you'll be alright going back there?" Mark asked.
"I-I think so..." I claimed.

Mark didn't say anything back. Instead, he made his way back into the ICU area. I hesitated, but then followed not too far behind him.

The waiting room and the ICU area were like two different worlds. The waiting room was calm and quiet, with the usual scents of humans that I have grown used to. But as soon as I entered the ICU, I could smell the sweat and blood on the doctors and patients, I could smell the blood from the open wounds of the patients. My mouth immediately began to water, I wanted to leave. But I knew I couldn't, or I didn't want to rather. If this was the last time I was going to see Tyler, I had to stay strong.

Eventually, we each ended up turning into a room, the door closing behind us and everything was silent. As I looked ahead of me, I could see Tyler lying in a hospital bed, a breathing tube stuck down his throat, machines plugged into him left to right, a neck brace around his neck. His face was pale, basically lifeless. I looked over at the heart monitor, his pulse was slow... too slow.

I suddenly felt the rush of sadness and guilt overcoming me as Mark, Amy and Kathryn went over to Tyler.

This was all my fault. If I hadn't had blacked out back at the TV station, if I wasn't across the room during the fight, I could have saved him, I could have saved them all... we wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for me...

My mind suddenly flooded with more thoughts. As if an angel and a devil were on my shoulder.

You know you have a chance to save him. It may cost you your life, but Tyler will survive!

No... don't do it... you don't want Tyler to suffer being a ghoul. He will never be able to eat human food again and his desire for human flesh will be uncontrollable.

But then again... Tyler may be able to control his hunger and thirst better than you can... after all, each ghoul works and functions differently

And what if he can't? He'll have all of your organs so he'll probably act just like you...

That's not true, he is older and more mature than you.

That could all change once he turns into a ghoul. His behavior could worsen... he could even kill himself, just like those ghouls they experimented on before.

Mark, Amy and Kathryn will help him. They have to. They have known Tyler longer than they have known you. If they lose Tyler, it'll be like losing family.

But you're family too...

You may have just been considered family. But when you think about it, you miss your old family, you always have. You thought you would reunite with them and live happily after Mark had thought he had killed you before. But there were other plans. This time, you can be with them forever, and you can die knowing you saved somebody you really care about...

I stopped thinking and looked up at the group before leaving the room, not saying a word to them.

I knew what I was going to do.