Thirty

TYLER

As the van pulled into the facility, I looked out the window, noticing a tall, glass building surrounded by a huge, chain linked, electrical fence, in a place that was seemingly in the middle of nowhere. What was such a big, modern day building doing out here? Was it some sort of government owned building? Was this something straight out of Area 51?

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard the sound of the van door opening. More people in hazmat suits were outside of the van waiting for me. Without a second to let me even unbuckle my seatbelt, the people in the van pushed me outside. As we left the van, I craned my neck to see the tall building I was about to enter.

"This will be your new home for the next couple days, weeks, however long you'll be kept here." Dr. Morgan stated.
"What will you guys be doing to me?" Tyler asked.
"Nothing too harmful, we promise." Dr. Morgan claimed. "It's just some things to help you adjust better to society as a ghoul. We wish we could do that with all ghouls, but sadly we can't."
"I... I won't have to kill anybody, will I?" I asked.
"Well... it depends on the way your body and your instincts take over." Dr. Morgan explained. "If you let both of them take over, then you may be potentially harming others. But we will try our best to prevent that from happening, but you must also try to keep it from happening as well."
"O-Okay..." I nodded.

We finally decided to make our way into the building. We entered through the main door and traveled up several floors until we reached what was probably the middle of the building and we walked down a hallway, where I was placed in a room. A room that basically felt like a psych ward. There wasn't any windows or anything inside of it, just a few lights and a small bed.

"I know this isn't necessarily the room you had hoped for, but this is where you will be staying until we deem you fit to be let out." Dr. Morgan stated.

I slowly went down and sat on the bed. It felt hard, I could feel the springs bending down as my body pressed down on it. I then looked up at the doctor, who slowly closed the door.

"I know, it's not too comfy." Dr. Morgan added. "I wish there was more we could do here for you, but unfortunately, this is all we have at the moment."
"I-It's fine." I fibbed. I then decided to change the subject. "W-Where are my friends?"
"We put them in another room for the time being." Dr. Morgan stated. "Because we'll be going right down to business."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"I will be taking off my hazmat suit and your mask." He explained. "I want to see how you react to my scent."
My heart raced out of my chest. I knew I wasn't ready for this. "A-Already?"
"You'll be working with me for possibly a while, and I am unfortunately not permitted to wear the hazmat suit unless it's necessary." Dr. Morgan explained. "Just remember everything I told you and you should be just fine."
"O-Okay." I simply responded.

I watched as he took off the hazmat suit he was wearing and hanging it up on the rack in the corner of the room. Underneath his hazmat suit was a normal doctor's uniform.

Dr. Morgan then approached me.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

I didn't say anything, I wanted to shake my head no but I knew either way he would eventually force the mask off of me. So instead, I nodded.

He untied the mask from behind my head and slowly took it off. The mask was barely even off of my face and in that short millisecond, I could smell human flesh. My mouth instantly began to water. As soon as the mask was fully removed from my face, I immediately covered it back up with my mouth, trying so hard to keep myself from possibly attacking him.

He continued to observe me, not moving an inch from my body.

"Remove your hands from your face, Mr. Scheid." Dr. Morgan demanded.
I immediately shook my head, "I don't want to hurt you." I muttered through my hand.
"It will all be alright." He assured me. "This is a completely normal reaction most ghouls get whenever they come across a human."

I hesitated, but then finally removing my hand from my mouth. I could still smell his scent, but for some reason, it wasn't as bad as when he had first taken my mask off. I don't know why I was so shocked when I first smelled his scent. Maybe because this was my first time actually smelling human flesh. Whenever I was around anybody, they either had suits on, or they had me wear a mask, or both.

"Mr. Scheid, tell me how you feel." Dr. Morgan asked.
"I-I don't feel as bad as I thought I would." I explained. "W-When you first took the mask off, my reaction was more surprised if anything."
"Well, this is your first time actually smelling human flesh." The Dr. Morgan stated. "And like I had said before, it is completely normal for a ghoul to react this way, especially somebody like you, who has never smelled a human scent before until now."
"Do all humans have the same scent?" I asked.
"Sadly, no." Dr. Morgan responded. "If they did, you would have already been able to be on your own."
I sighed, "How many human scents are there?"
"Each human being in the world has different scents, and obviously we can't get all 7 billion+ people in the world." He explained. "But thanks to some technological advances, we were able to get some samples of some of the most common human scents and combine them into several different experiments you will be tested on."
"I'm guessing this was my first one?" I asked.
Dr. Morgan nodded. "And you did very well."
I smirked, "Thank you doctor."

He nodded. He spent a few minutes writing some things down, then he got up, grabbed the hazmat suit he had hung up and left the room. Minutes later however, Dr. Morgan came in the room again with a bag. It was filled with something red. It was human blood.

"I know your mouth was watering during our first little test, so I decided to get you a little something." Dr. Morgan claimed.

He handed me the bag. I tore off the top of the bag and began taking slow sips of the blood. This was my first time actually tasting blood through my mouth. Everything else was fed to me through an IV tube at the hospital.

The blood was good... really good... better than what I had originally thought...

I ended up finishing the blood in less than a few minutes.

I then looked up at the doctor again.

"I-Is this your blood?" I asked.
The doctor shook his head, "It's not mine. It's actually from a human who you will be experimenting with later on."

My eyes widened. I knew this was coming, he even told me beforehand I would be experimenting with humans.

But after tasting this person's blood, I knew I wasn't ready to actually end up in the same room with them.

I actually may end up hurting them.