Twenty-Eight

MARK'S POV

ONE DAY LATER

Amy, Kathryn and I headed back up to the hospital, none of us barely getting any sleep after we were asked to leave for the day while the operation was taking place. This was a matter of life, death and sacrifice. Ethan sacrificed his own to save Tyler, and if he didn't survive, then Ethan's sacrifice was for nothing, and we would lose two of our friends.

None of us said a word to one another as we went up the elevator. We went up to the fourth floor where the operating area was and waited in the waiting area.

We waited for about ten minutes when suddenly, the doctor we saw yesterday came out from down the hallway. We all quickly stood up.

"The operation... was a complete success." The doctor grinned.

A huge wave of relief came over the three of us, but emotions overcame me as well. Tyler was alive, when he originally wasn't going to survive, and Ethan made sure of it. If it weren't for him, a long time friend of mine wouldn't have survived another day.

"Th-Thank you doctor." I immediately responded, shaking his hand.
"Just give the nurses a few more minutes to take Mr. Scheid to a room and you will be allowed to see him." The doctor stated.
"What will happen now?" Amy asked. "I mean, now that Tyler is... a ghoul?"
"He'll he kept here until he fully recovers and then he'll be kept in another facility for strict evaluation until he can be considered stable enough to be out on his own as a ghoul." The doctor explained.
"A-And Ethan..." Kathryn added. "I-Is there a way we can see him one last time to thank him?"
"Unfortunately, his body has already been taken into the morgue." The doctor responded. "Besides doctors, we only allow criminal investigators as well as scientists into the area for research purposes."
Kathryn didn't say anything, she only nodded.
"Alright, well thank you anyways, doctor." I said again.
The doctor nodded and left the area.

We sat down and waited for a couple more minutes before a nurse met up with us.

"I can take you down to the patients room now." The nurse stated.

The three of us went and followed the nurse into an elevator that took us down to an underground part of the hospital. The lights were dim as we walked down the hall until we had reached a room towards the end of the hall.

As we entered the room, we noticed Tyler laying in a bed still asleep with a breathing tube below his nose. Everything was pretty much normal, however, instead of an IV bag with clear fluids, it was filled with human blood and being pumped into the IV in his wrist.

The nurse then gave the three of us jackets, masks, gloves and caps to wear.

"This is to keep any type of scent away from him." The nurse stated. "Because of his circumstance we had to keep him isolated from the other patients. We hope you understand."
"Y-Yes, we understand." Amy nodded.

The nurse then left the three of us alone with Tyler.

A half hour had passed and Tyler was still asleep. There was no television or service down here because of how isolated we were from the rest of the hospital, so there was nothing for us to do. So we just sat and wait.

Finally, after another five minutes, we could hear Tyler moan as he slowly began to wake up. Amy, Kathryn and I surrounded the bed and watched as he slowly opened his eyes.

"Hey Tyler." Kathryn smiled softly. "H-How do you feel?"

Tyler smiled as he saw the three of us, but he didn't respond to Kathryn's question right away. He suddenly grew a confused look on his face and began touching his throat and chest.

"I-I feel... different." Tyler responded.

Amy, Kathryn and I looked at each other, unsure of what to say to him. Finally, I spoke up.

"Tyler... this may sound weird... but, things will feel different for you from now on..." I told him.
Tyler looked at us confused again.
"W-What do you mean?" He asked. then began looking around. "W-Where is Ethan?"
I sighed, "Tyler... for the past almost 48 hours while you were unconscious, you were dying... then Ethan made a decision to transfer his organs over to you... and save your life."

Tyler's eyes widened, his face filled with disbelief.

"What the hell does this mean?" Tyler asked. "Ethan's dead?"
Amy bit her lip and nodded.
"A-And all of his organs... a-are inside my body?" Tyler asked. "D-Does this mean I'm part ghoul now?"

The three of us looked at each other and nodded. Tyler still couldn't comprehend anything that was being said to him.

Suddenly, tears began filling up in his eyes. Amy and Kathryn immediately went over and hugged him as he started sobbing.

"I-I just don't understand why he did this..." Tyler sobbed.
"He did it to save you." Kathryn responded. "So that we could continue our lives normally again."
"It's not going to be normal!" Tyler exclaimed. "Not when I'm like this!"
"Tyler... we're going to help you get through all of this..." Amy assured him, holding back tears. "You're going to be okay..."

Tyler stayed silent, letting out a few silent sobs.

I began to feel emotions take me over, but I didn't join in on the group hug. Instead, I walked out the door to try and regain myself.
———
NO POV

The doctor drove away from the hospital and drove through the city until he came across a laboratory, where he immediately pulled into the parking lot.

As he headed into the laboratory, he walked up to the second floor where he met up with a scientist who worked at the lab.

"How is the subject doing?" The doctor asked.
"He's still unconscious, but everything in his body seems to be functioning properly." The scientist responded.
"What shall we do when he wakes up?" The doctor asked.
"He'll want to know everything... so we'll just tell him." The scientist responded.

They then looked through the window of the subject they were observing. He was laying in a bed with tubes all throughout his body, providing him with enough oxygen to make sure he was functioning properly.

That subject, was Ethan Nestor, who was now a human.
~~~~~~~~~~~
PLOT TWIST!!!

I was reading some of your comments thinking Ethan would be gone for good, but still be a part of Tyler's body (or something along the lines of that) and I liked that idea, especially since it comes from Tokyo Ghoul, but I wanted to make it a little bit different and this is what I came up with.

How do you like the plot twist?

More to come soon!
~Jackir30