Thirty-Nine

MARK

Dr. Carson came into the room. His face was angry, but he quickly changed it to a calm and somewhat happy look as he closed the door behind him and approached us.
"Is everything okay, Doctor?" I asked.
He sighed, "Yes. Yes of course, just a bit of an argument with Dr. Morgan, that's all. Mr. Scheid has been brought back to his room and we are preparing for the next experiment."
"Already?" I asked.
"Yes!" Dr. Carson said, giving a look of enthusiasm. He looked at the three of us. "Actually, the next test involves the three of you."
"Really?" Kathryn asked.
"Well, since Mr. Scheid decided to kill two birds with one stone and complete our first test, we figured we would move onto the next test." He explained.
"But I thought my scent was the scent Tyler is most attracted to?" Ethan asked.
"You are." Dr. Carson said. "And even though he attempted to prove to us that he could resist your scent, we still cannot prove he is prone to it. We will return to that after a couple more tests."
Ethan nodded.
"So what does this test involve?" I asked. "Do we just stand there and expose our bodies to Tyler?"
"Actually no." Dr. Carson explained. "It involves you mixing your scent with various other scents from foods, perfumes, etcetera."
"Alright." I said.
"So if you could just follow me please, we can start the process." Dr. Carson asked.

The three of us simply looked at each other and shrugged. We gave Ethan a wave before heading out of the room.

We followed Dr. Carson down the hallway and into an elevator. After a couple of floors, the door opened and we were brought down a dark hallway before we stopped at a wooden door. Dr. Carson unlocked the door and opened it, gesturing us inside.

Amy and Kathryn walked inside, but I stood out there a little bit hesitant. Dr. Carson simply continued to stare at me.

"Shouldn't we be doing this stuff in front of Tyler?" I asked.
"We will." Dr. Carson said. "But he doesn't know that we are adding various scents to the test."
"Shouldn't Dr. Morgan also be helping out?" I asked.
"He's with Mr. Scheid, I told him to monitor him while we prepare." Dr. Carson said. "He will be with me to observe as soon as you are all prepared."

I still stood in my spot, hesitant and suddenly suspicious. From the look he gave earlier as he entered Ethan's room, something seemed off with him.

But... instead I walked in.

The door shut behind us, but no sign of Dr. Carson anywhere. Nothing but darkness surrounded the three of us.

I quickly ran over and banged on the door. As I clenched my fist and punched the door, I screamed in pain as the door was made of steel from the inside.

"What the hell is going on?" Amy asked.
"I-I knew it!" I shouted through my pain. "I knew something was up with these doctors!"
"Then why the hell didn't you tell us?" Kathryn asked.
"I DID!" I yelled.
"What is he going to do?" Amy asked.
"I dunno..." I said. "But it either involves Ethan or Tyler and we need to get both of them the hell out of here!"
"But how are we going to get out of here?" Kathryn asked.

Just then, as if some weird cliché in a movie where something convenient happens, the door opens, and there standing in the doorway was Tyler.

ETHAN

After about ten minutes, Dr. Carson came back into the room, but Mark, Amy and Kathryn weren't anywhere to be found.

"Where are my friends?" I asked.
"They're preparing for their experiment." Dr. Carson responded. "But I do need something from you."
"What do you need?" I asked.

Suddenly, I felt something cold pinch the side of my neck and I could feel some sort of fluid entering my body. Whatever it was, it was making me extremely dizzy, extremely tired.

"What... are..." I asked, trying to keep myself awake.
"You need this." Dr. Carson growled to me.

I've never heard him growl like that before. But from what I could see from the extreme blur in my eyes, he seemed desperate. Something that I could remember feeling when I needed something... when I needed to feed.

Then, it hit me. Realization suddenly hit me, and right before I was probably going to be put to sleep, probably killed.

Dr. Carson this entire time was a ghoul, and I was probably his next meal.

Darkness suddenly overcame me, but before everything went completely dark, I noticed the door swinging open and Tyler rushing and yelling through the door and charging at Dr. Carson.

But before I could say or see anything else, I completely blacked out.