Chapter 9- The Alcoholic

Timed had stop. My heart had stopped. I felt like everything was going in slow motion but happened to quickly at the same time.

I had taken my face out of my hands. I looked straight at Grayson staring into his sad dark green eyes.

Cancer. Cancer. Cancer.

Many people die of cancer each year. And my mate can be one of them. I'm going to lose him. Another person in my life I'm going to lose.

I don't know if it was because I couldn't handle what he had just said or if it was that I felt sick that I would die without my mate, the same way I felt sick when Jack died.

Whatever it was made my stomach drop and turn. Immediately I got up to run to the bathroom.

I slammed the door shut and put my head right above the toilet bowl to release the vomit that so badly wanted to exit.

Once I was done I got up to the sink and washed my mouth with some cold water.

I looked into the mirror to see a girl. She had hazel eyes that showed all the pain and trauma she has been through. Her brown hair, that is tied back into a fishtail braid, looks so messy you would have thought it was the style. But one thing you probably couldn't guess from looking at her is that she is the next Royal Alphas mate. If you couldn't believe that then there was no way in hell you could've believe that that girl is The White Wolf.

I couldn't look at myself in the mirror any longer. My face said it all. I push my back against the wall and slide to the ground.

I'm not going to cry. I'm tired of crying, tired of running, tired of having people die right in front of me and not being able to do anything.

But I think it was time for that too change. I have to see Jace today. I don't care what I have to do to get there but I was going to do it.

The sound of the door opening broke through my thoughts. Grayson walks in and I see he has some ginger ale.

He sits on the floor next to me and passes me the ginger ale. "Here drink some maybe it'll help."

I shake my head.

"Take it now!" He says completely pissed off.

I take it but don't drink it. At this point he reeks of alcohol.

"What cancer do you have?" I ask slowly.

He takes in a deep breath before answering. "I'm not sure. No doctor has been able to tell me exactly what it is... But whatever it is it's hitting my wolf hard."

"What do you mean by that? Are you saying your wolf is dying?"

He looks at me. Pain all throughout his eyes. "I don't know. My wolf has been losing lots of hair and in clumps. He gets tired easily and he's weaker. But in my human form I feel fine. So maybe he is dying but-."

"If he dies you die." I finish for him. He just nods his head in return. "How long?"

"How long what?"

"How long have you had this? How long do you have to live? How much time do I have left with you?" I say the last question softly.

"I don't know." He says sadly. I look down to the ground. "Come on my mom wants us now."

He stands and offers me a hand, in which I kindly reject. I go to stand but immediately feel dizzy and fall back to the ground.

Grayson notices and graves the ginger ale. "See where your stubborn self gets you. Here drink this and take my hand."

I do as he says. As we walk to his parents we hold hands.

I don't want to ever let him go.

******

"Grayson have you been drinking again? Didn't we have this talk last time!" His mother yells.

"Barely a full day with your mate and you've started drinking. Come on Grayson are you not happy-."His father says.

"I'm happy Dad."

"Then why are you drinking, especially with your mate here."

"I-I....." He takes in a deep breathe. "I had to tell her."

"Oh. I see. But really Grayson. Alcohol? You couldn't have done it when you weren't tipsy and more sober?" His mom says.

"Mom.... I know I messed up," he turns to me," I'm sorry the way I told you wasn't the way I wanted you to find out. I want to make you happy not sad and upset. I'll do better next time. I promise."

I smile at him and nod.

"Okay so let's change the topic, what was it that we came here to talk about again?" I say turning to face Grayson's parents.

"Oh so we have decided that we want to have a party in order to celebrate Grayson finding his mate and the return of the White Wolf-."Grayson mom begins before I cut her off.

"No. We can do the finding of his mate, but we can't have anyone but this pack know what I look like and where I am."

"Why not?"  Grayson's father asks.

"Well last time every one was told the rogue leader found me and killed everyone in order to get to me.  I'm not letting that happen again."

"It won't." Grayson cuts in. "Our pack is the strongest most powerful pack here.  Your pack wasn't, and last time you didn't have me to protect you.  This time you do.  I won't let them hurt you, and if they do I'll kill them." 

"But Grayson, your not strong enough-."

"What's that suppose to mean!?"  Grayson cuts me off.  "Is it because I have cancer that you think I can't PROTECT you!?  Do you think I'm a WEAK mate, that I'm not good enough!?"

"No Gray that's not what I meant."

"Oh really?  So please explain to me what you meant."  I looked down to the ground.  "That's what I thought..."

He walks away from me obviously angry but I didn't know what to do.  Just as I was about to chase him I felt an arm wrap around me a pull me back.

I turn to see it was Grayson's mothers arm.  I looked at her confused.

"He only told you has cancer, right?  Nothing else?"  She asks.

"Yes only that.  Why? What is there something else he isn't telling me?"

"He's an alcoholic.  Well he was. But seems like he's drinking again."  His father says.

"I'm afraid that if you follow him you might catch him drinking some more." His mother says with a sad look on her eyes.

I just nod my head. 

"But go.  Go to him. Talk to him.  Help him. Please."   His father says sadly.

I turn away quickly and jog off in the direction I saw Grayson go.

My mate.... The alcoholic. Fucking great.