Running Before Heartbreak

-Dante's POV-

     I was walking upstairs with a plate of sweets when I heard Vylad calling me from the balcony, I swear it's his favorite place. I set the plate down on the table in front of the tv and walked onto the large porch. "Vylad?"

      "Right here," he said grabbing my hand," look Dante! Squirrels!" He said excitedly pointing to a tree, I peered over and saw a squirrel dropping nuts into a hole before climbing inside the tree. "Isn't he cute?!" He squealed.

     I chuckled. "Yeah, adorable."

     "Well, now we can go eat sweets since my furry friend is gone." He said going back inside with me in tow. I grinned as he pulled me inside, Travis texted me quickly reviewing his plan. I typed a quick, / I don't think this is a good idea/ before sitting down next to Vylad. 

      I got another text and sighed, giving in. I was going to regret this. Vylad looked over at me, a piece of cookie in his hand. "Everything okay?"

     I took a deep breath, here goes nothing. "Just this girl, she's super cute and nice, and I think she's flirting with me." 

     Vylad bit his lip, his curious expression turning to ice almost instantly. "Oh, must be annoying." He stated.

     "I guess..." I quickly thought up a response. " who knows though, maybe we'll end up dating and getting married."

(Gosh, I'm mad at myself for making him say that... but storylines!)

     He tensed up visibly. "I-I have to go..." he stood up quickly, dropping the sweet in his hand, and then left.

     Good going Dante! Aren't you just the smartest!? I quickly got up, he is way too fast for a little guy. I bolted down the stairs. Where was he?! I saw Aphmau in the hall. "Hey, have you seen Vylad?"

     "Yeah, he went outside, wh-"

     "Really?! Thanks Aph, bye!" I said waving quickly and bolting outside. 

     I had to find him fast, if he tore himself down for looking in a mirror, who knows what this would do... what I would do.

-Vylad's POV-

     I ducked into the tiny shed I'd seen while driving up and shut the door behind me, my cheeks were a light pink from the cold, but I didn't care. As soon as I could hear the sounds of critters around me I punched a wall, splintering the weak wood. "You idiot, how could you do this to yourself again! Why can't you just put your heart away for good, why?!" I yelled at myself repeating the action, using both fists. After a while I sat down, breathing heavily. I looked down at my hands, they were bruised and bleeding at the knuckles, great. I felt a breeze come through the missing windows. I sighed and stood up.

     I came back out and started walking back to the house, shivering. Forgot a jacket in my rush, smart Vylad, real smart. I tucked my hands into my sleeves and started walking back to the cabin. I was about five minutes from the house when I saw him, he came running towards me, I couldn't look at him, not right now. I looked down and kept walking I felt hands  on my shoulders. 

     "Vylad?! Where in Irene's name did you go?! I was loo-" 

     I cut him off. "I just went out for a walk, I'm fine." I continued walking past him, his hands were warm though and I missed the heat.

     He walked after me. "V-Vylad I'm sorry, I meant it as a joke, and I don't know why you're so mad but I'm sorry." He begged

     I looked at him, his face was sincere and he looked like he was about to cry. I was mad, but not that mad. I sighed."It's okay Dante...." I walked inside and made a beeline to the room, he trailed behind me. 

     "No it's not Vylad..."  he said quietly as we walked.

     When we got there I turned to go to the bedroom when he grabbed my hand. "Dante what are you-?"

     "You did this because of me didn't you..?" He said, I realized he was looking at my knuckles. I pulled my hand away.

     I held back tears. "It's fine, I would've done it anyway."

    He was silent, and I saw a single tear slide down his cheek.

    I hurt Dante. 

     I hurt Dante.

     I hurt Dante.

     I felt myself start to silently cry, how could I just hurt him like this..? Why did I even want to hurt him? I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly. "I-I'm so a-sorry, I w-wasn't thinking a-and I d-didn't see how m-much this c-could hurt you..." I sobbed into his jacket.

     I felt his arms squeeze around me. "I shouldn't have done what I did either... can we just pretend this didn't happen... please..?" He asked stroking my hair, which calmed me down more then I thought it would. 

     "Y-Yeah..." I said, he pulled back and wiped the tears away from my face.

      He smiled . "Alright, let's bandage you up, and then we can watch a movie on the couch, or say hi to the squirrels okay?"

      I laughed quietly. "Okay..."

     I guess maybe I shouldn't run before heartbreak, because he can fix it. In some strange way, he fixes it every time.