chapter fourteen

I wake up sweating. The memories of the nightmare I woke up from stays in my mind like gum in a head full of hair. I look out my window to see that it's raining. The rain suddenly starts pouring down, making me hold back a whimper. I hate storms. I love rain, I love dancing in it, but I hate storms. They are just very scary for me.

Always have been, always will be.

I gasp as lightning strikes in the sky, and thunder rolls. I hold my stomach and the pacifier bobs in my mouth quickly, barely soothing me but it did some. Something is better than nothing.

I scream out in fear as the thunder rolls deeper and longer, and lightning strikes right by the window.

Sobs erupt from my mouth and footsteps are heard thumping loudly down the hallways. The door to my nursery flies open, revealing a panicked couple of men. They take in the sight of me and I see them growing more and more concerned. "Baby, what's the matter? Do you not like storms?" I nod and sniffle, choking on another sob. The paci falls out and I scream until it's plopped back in my mouth and I'm picked up.

They try and soothe me, but it doesn't work. I'm taken into the living room and the lights are all off, but they are sure to turn them on and then we sit. A bottle is placed in front of me and I'm about to start fussing more, but then I see their worried glances and decide that if anything, it'll delay their questions for now. I take the bottle willingly.

Replacing the pacifier with the bottle full of some kind of liquid, my head lolls and my eyes droop. I feel like I didn't get much of any sleep, now I'm exhausted.

When the bottle is about half-full, I start to hear mutters go around the room. "Beautiful," I hear and my eyes open half way. I see the smallest man looking at me lovingly and then my eyes closed. Darkness overcomes me.