chapter eighteen

I wake up to the sound of men talking. I don't open my eyes, but I listen in eagerly as the thing in my mouth bobs in and out.

"He's so cute,"

"I will always remember this image no matter what"

"Alec, are you crying?!"

"U-uhm...no..."

"Aww, come here."

"He's just the most precious thing ever,"

"I know...I know,"

"Take a picture, I'll go get a frame for it that says something cute on it!"

Then there's a flash and some curses and I shuffle around to not be flashed again. Curling into my pillow, I continue to search for sleep. I fall asleep to the feeling of my hair being massaged.

"Come on, lovely. It's time for dinner," I mumble as I hear this in my sleep-hazed mind. I sit up and pat the man's face that is trying to wake me up before leaning back over and attempting to go back to sleep. He chuckles. Then, he forcibly makes me sit back up again. I groan and he laughs, shushing me. "You have to eat, lovely." He coos at me.

I pout at him, finally opening my eyes. I notice that it's Dakota again, who's holding me. He smiles brightly at me. "Now there's the beautiful cerulean blue eyes that I love!" He exclaims making me giggle. He beams at me, holding me up as I let out a yawn and kissing my cheek. I giggle again. "D'aw, you're so freakin' cute!" He yells out and starts to tickle me. I squeal loudly, attracting attention towards us, and release uncontrollable giggles.

"No!" I squeal and try to push his hands away from me, but they're like boulders and I fail helplessly. I shout for help and in comes a bunch of burly men in T-shirts. I squeal in surprise at the looks they have on their faces.

"Guys, don't do that, you'll scare the baby!" Alec says, peeking through the doorway. He catches me looking at him and smiles, winking at me making me giggle and blush.

A throat clears among the men and I see somebody gets pushed forcefully towards me, I giggle at his red face, making his face turn even redder. I poke his cheek and it looks like he's about to faint.

I giggle again and chuckles go around the room. The tomato man clears his throat shakily, then bites his lip and extends a hand to me. "Hi," He says. I look at him again, this time like he's crazy. "Hewo..." I say to him slowly. He sighs in a good way but I can't tell why, until he smiles at me and rubs my hair.

"My name is Ed, what's yours?" smooth. I note in my head, stroking my imaginary beard.

He sits down on the couch opposite of me just as I answer him. "'M Sky" I announce proudly like it's a scholarship to LSU.

He smiles more. I stand up shakily and he quickly rushes to not let me fall down, as does Connor. I end up having arms wrapped around both my waist and my chest. I giggle as my body heats up slightly at their warmth. "Are you okay, baby?" He asks me. I only nod and jump on him, and start to play with his hair. He chuckles at my actions. "I like your eyes, Sky!" He claims with a huge grin. I giggle and thank him with a smile of my own.

"Skylar, where are you?!" I hear and whimper at the loudness of it, plus it sounds angry. "Hewe," I say in a small voice. The man holding me coos and kisses my forehead, making me calm down slightly. I grip his shirt so as to not fall, but deep down I know he wouldn't let me fall or drop me.

Dakota comes running into the room and I look wide-eyed at him. His face is red and his fists are clenched. His clenched jaw makes me wish I was asleep. I shrink back when he moves towards me, letting out a cry of fear. "Oh, babe," The man who has me says, rocking me in a soothing way. I hold back tears and sniffle.

"Why are you crying, baby boy? Are you hurt?" Dakota croons at me. I sniffle and bury my face in his shoulder, leaning towards him in order to do it. He scared me so bad! Not funny!

He takes me in his arms gently, and I can feel him calm down as he breathes heavily and takes deep breaths. "What do we wanna eat for dinner, huh?" He kisses my forehead and says.

I stay silent and just keep sniffling. He says nothing about it and starts to hum a melody, bouncing me slightly.

"Nachos," I mumbled tiredly. I love nachos, I used to sneak out the house sometimes on good days when he wasn't there just to steal a plate. Now, I apparently don't have to...I can't steal now anyways, nor can I run out. They would be especially stern if they found out my intentions are not true.

"Baby, you're too young to eat chips, they'll hurt your gums! Let's see what else there is to eat that you can eat too," He says crushing my heart into tiny pieces. I force my tears not to fall but as I look up at him, my chin uncontrollably quivers.

He looks at me and coos, pushing my pouty lip back in my mouth and tucking my face into his chest. I pout more and hold onto him as he starts walking again.

He just chuckles and talks with his husband about lord knows what. I don't pay attention to their conversation but hear my name in it so I turn and start paying attention, curious of what they're talking about.

They both chuckle at me and I realize I haven't stopped pouting so I stop and instead bite my lip. "Food?" I ask looking at Alec, who I realize is the person Dakota was talking with. A blinding smile is what Alec replies with. I can feel my body shaking at the vibrations of Dakota's booming laughter.

"What would the prince like to eat this fine evening?" Alec says with a mocking British formal voice. I giggle at his antics.

"I want nachos!" I scream and push my face back into the warm chest, feeling the vibrations of him talking and laughing. He rubs my back gently, making me yawn. "You can sleep after you eat, for now, let's sit you down." I pick my face out his chest and whine as he sets me down in a high chair with a cushion on it. He puts a steaming bowl of macaroni on the plastic tray and Alec hands him a plastic baby spoon.

I push away from them as a heat wave passes through my body and I start sweating. I breathe a deep breath in but it comes out choppy, and I cough. It comes out harsh and I can't stop it from being the start of many coughs that escape my mouth.

"Oh, are you getting sick, love?"

But as Alec walks towards me with a worried glance, I hear the breaking of windows and yelling, then blackness overtakes me.