Chapter 1 - Released from Hell

Chapter 1

Dan's POV

June 14th 2009

"Daniel James Howell! Get your lazy arse out of bed and go to school!"

My mum's voice echoed around the house and rang through my ears. It was the last day of school after the last of the exams and I was not looking forward to going to that shithole. Every day there was a day of torture and stress; what with bullies, isolation, looking for a job, it's a surprise I've survived this far. Plus I'm pretty sure I failed the majority of my exams.

"I don't hear any movement!"

I suppose I'd better move...

I peeled the sheets off my body and let the arctic cold air hit my chest. Why is getting out of bed such a torturous moment?

I glanced over at the clock sitting on my night stand and read the time flashing at my tired eyes; 8:17am... "Shit!"

School started at 8:30am and was a twenty minute walk, at a quick pace.

I rushed into the bathroom, shoving my younger brother against the wall as I opened the door, "Dan! I was going in there! I'm late for school too you know!" Joe shouted at me through the gap between the door. He was six years younger than me and was a reincarnation of the devil child. Everything he did wrong would somehow be turned against me and would suddenly become my fault because, and I quote, 'he's only twelve and doesn't know any better, you should be looking out for him Dan.'

He bloody did know better! He's twelve! A twelve year old knows not to rip out the Wi-Fi from the wall when he loses against his mate on Call of Duty, a twelve year old knows that curtains are flammable and will catch fire when you hold a candle next to them during a power cut, and finally a twelve year old knows that he is a miracle child because apparently his mother couldn't have more than one child, and because he is a miracle child he knows he can get away with murder.

"Yeah? Well I have a major case of hobbit hair that needs sorting out before school starts!" I yelled back at Joe whilst straightening the life out of my hair.

"For God sake Dan! Sometimes you sound so gay." Joe said through gritted teeth.

Ouch. That hurt. I mean, I know I'm gay, but that something only I know... I refuse to tell anyone because I don't really know myself. I mean, I'm pretty sure I am... I don't find girls attractive, but I've never really felt anything about boys either, I've never been kissed by either sex anyway, so maybe I just need to kiss someone and find out myself. But still, there is no need for my brother to hold someone's preferred sex against me.

After straightening my roots out of my head I stormed out the bathroom changed into my grubby school suite due to me being in the final year of sixth form and walked out the door.

I'd already accepted that I was going to be late, so I placed my earphones in my ear, a bit of Arcade Fire blasting in my ears, and walked down the street to get to school. As I walked I ignored everything around me. I just wanted to be in my own bubble and not really be noticed by anyone.

As I reached the school reception I saw the look of disappointment on the schools receptionists face. "Last day of sixth form and you're late Daniel." Mrs. Wilson frowned at me. "It's a good thing it's your last day otherwise you'd be in isolation tomorrow."

"Yeah, well that's what my brother will have to deal with, he's running late too." Ha! He'll finally get it trouble for something.

"Wrong Mr. Howell, he got here just as the bell rang, so he's safe." she said with a slight grin on her face.