Chapter 1

Humans were useful. This was a fact Megatron could no longer deny.

The Warlord's patience was already growing thin, and Optimus Prime's spark seemed no closer to being extinguished than it had at the beginning of their fight. That was not something he could stand for. Resources were hard to come by as it was and yet the outgunned Autobots always came out on top.

How? Well there could only be one answer: the human factor.

When Unicron had seized the Nemesis only the fleshlings had been capable of returning it to normal- a feat Megatron couldn't ignore. They had also aided the Autobots in seizing the phase shifter.

It was undeniable (and logical) that the pests would be invaluable in navigating their planet without being detected by human military and Autobots alike. Stealth wasn't a tactic Megatron was fond of employing, but even he could be patient enough for it. If it led to the destruction of Optimus Prime and the end of the war all the better. It was worth it.

Already the warlord had spoken with Soundwave, and confirmed his suspicions that his plan was sound. His eyes and ears had since then made sure to assure his leader that he wasn't growing desperate- but rather showing his wisdom in trying different avenues and exploiting all opportunities. Plunder the riches of earth indeed; if the hell hole had any riches. It's indigenous lifeforms were certainly not it's crowning attribute.

Humans. It all came back to them in the end didn't it? Disgusting.

---

Knockout had to admit, he felt like himself again. He'd finally been able to get cleaned up- which took longer without Breakdown by an entire joor. He'd almost dislocated an appendage trying to get himself all buffed out. Curse those autobots. He'd punish them for it though- in the end he'd have Bumblebee on his examination table and oh how those chirps of pain would ease his wounded pride.

It wasn't really his fault though- that he'd lost the relic. He had tried- but his back up had been pretty meager to put it nicely.

Megatron had summoned him and all the other important mechs to the bridge, no doubt to discuss the search for Airachnid or some plot to destroy Optimus Prime. Or maybe there was another team being arranged to retrieve a relic- either way it had demanded the the glossy mech leave his fussing over his reflection. Which was probably for the best- staring at himself was a treat he didn't want to spoil.

"The Autobots have meager numbers, no reliable sources of energon, and their code added to that makes them weak." Megatron finally spoke, drawing the attention of those present. "So I must ask again- why have we not crushed them?"

No one answered; no one dared to risk their leader's wrath.

Red eyes swept over the congregation, and a frown pulled at the corners of Megatron's mouth. "No one can figure it out? None of your processors are sharp?!" He shook his head, making a disgusted noise. "A sparkling could have realized their advantage."

Knockout could guess where the warlord's twisted mind was drifting, and he felt his internal mechanisms churning. If this went where he was suspecting... all he could think of was the torture inflicted on Breakdown. Humans were pests- even if they made attractive alt modes.

Soundwave turned towards Megatron, communicating without words to the warlord before resuming his post.

"The value of the species on this planet is minute," Megatron began, "But it is a value that has aided the Autobots many times."

Already the eradicons were beginning to murmur amongst themselves.

"As these fleshlings mature however, they lose the true asset we must utilize." Megatron either didn't care or didn't hear the whispers.