Chapter 9

Skyler was tired but happy. She had stayed up into the early hours of the morning alternatively enjoying the hot tub and the pool. Martin had gotten the jacuzzi installed only days earlier and that had been the last straw. She had to take some of life's luxuries- even if it cost her a night's sleep.

Logic would have dictated that she waited, but she'd followed gut instinct. If she was in a bad mood for her dinner with Martin so be it.

Dinner. He'd told her he'd be taking her out on a date Wednesday morning, three days earlier.

The doctor rolled down his window, waving her over. “I'm going to take you out on a date.” He said it innocently, and seemed confused by her look of horror.

“What?” Skyler hissed, walking back to him and glaring at him fiercely enough to make him frown. She glanced around at the other students, wishing she could shove the words back into his mouth. “Damn it Martin, you can't just say stuff like that!” It had become clear to her that he didn't exactly… understand. Maybe he'd been sheltered as a child? Or dropped on his head.

He rolled his eyes. “I'm taking you out to eat. Isn't that a date?”

“...You really are a cultural imbecile.” She took a steadying breath. He was definitely sheltered. “A date is when you have a romantic interest in someone.” Her stomach lurched. She hoped he was sheltered. She really really hoped he was just some social freak and not a predator.

“Oh.” He made a face, “That definitely isn't it.”

Well that stung.

The look he'd given her had been a wound to her pride but had made it easier for her to relax around him. She didn't need him to think she was attractive in any way. She'd prefer if he looked at her like she was some piece of trash being waved in his face.

Even if he had rejected the potential of her being a romantic interest so hard it gave her whiplash he hadn't stopped calling the dinner a date. Every time she had corrected him he had ignored her.

She looked over her shoulder, seeing Mr Wave through the sliding glass door. Was he someone Martin worked with? Or was he some sort of babysitter?

He was undoubtedly a babysitter. Martin had wanted to leave and had gotten someone to watch her. It was a smart move on Martin's part but it pissed her off more than it impressed her.

Still, how did the doctor know Mr Wave? Were they lovers? She wouldn't be surprised if Martin was gay; but then again he said he didn't know what a date was. That didn't mean the doctor didn't have a boyfriend but it made it hard to imagine he did.

She sighed, wondering why the prospect of him being gay- or even in a relationship- frustrated her. The idea of him being that weird single luxury car enthusiast was the only vision she had of him that fit. Maybe because it was the only vision that was supported by concrete evidence.

Martin was weird: he appeared to be single; and he loved his car. Heck, he was married to the car.

The teen thought about it for a minute more before firmly deciding that Mr Wave was a co-worker of some sort.

The only schoolwork she had left was math, which wouldn't take her long. She usually left the easiest subject for last, and while she didn't particularly enjoy math she knew how to do it. It made sense to her. More sense than words.

The door sliding open drew her attention, and she half expected to see Martin. Instead it was Mr Wave peering around the backyard, thin fingers holding the glass door limply. She couldn't tell if he was looking at her directly when his head turned her way, the visor sunglasses keeping a wall between them.