Chapter 8

Skyler peaked out of her room, listening carefully for any sounds. She stood there, halfway out of her room and halfway in, for about three minutes before tiptoeing down the hall. One quick glance over the kitchen bar revealed that the kitchen table was vacant. So was the living room.

So the doctor sleeps.

She went out through the sliding glass door that led to the backyard, making sure to close it behind her slowly. Cautiously she padded over to the edge of the pool, looking down into the blue lit water. She threw a quick look over he shoulder before peeling off her shorts and t-shirt.

Shivering from more than the draft she slipped into the water.

It'd been so long since she'd felt so free.

---

Knockout sipped some energon, trying to sit comfortably in the garage. It was early morning, and the sun had yet to breach the horizon. Not that he'd be able to watch the sunrise. He was stuck in the garage.

He had tried to distract himself by shopping and bonding with Skyler, but it didn't help. Nothing helped. He needed to go for a walk. If he didn't get out on his own two peds his processor would malfunction.

Already he was showing signs of insanity by resting in his root mode. The garage wasn't a safe place for him to relax unless he was stuck in his alt mode; he knew that. The need to be himself though… that was stronger than his need for concealment.

::Knockout to Soundwave::

The ping for him to continue came a nano klik later.

::I'm going stir crazy here. I need someone to babysit while I get out of the house:: Wonderful, he sounded just like the frazzled mother on a reality TV show.

The Eyes and Ears responded within a klik. ::Soundwave… will assist::

Knockout was shocked into a proper sitting position. He hadn't expected Soundwave to help him out personally. Usually Starscream or Megatron alone reserved such a right to the silent mech's help. Well frag, he wasn't about to complain. If it got him out of the garage he'd be happy.

With renewed spirit he finished his meal, allowing himself a few more kliks to stretch before resuming his post as the dutiful car. He hadn't been off his wheels long enough but it was too risky to wait in root mode; all he could do was settle down to wait.

It was four joors before he heard from Soundwave again.

::Groundbridging to your location::

The crackle of electricity dispelled the fog in the medic's processor. He opened the garage, his engine humming with excitement. Never had he been so happy to see Soundwave.

The predator flew threw the portal, the green spiral closing behind him with a final sizzle. Flying in a lazy circle the surveillance chief made his descent. When he finally landed it was behind the house, where the fence gave him some privacy. It was meager but would do.

Knockout activated his holoform, not entirely sure why himself. It was an automatic reaction to getting ready to drive at this point. His human cover was becoming as unconscious a background function as his vents.

“Well look at you.” Knockout drawled, hiding his surprise. “Is it custom?”

Soundwave had chosen to use his own holoform, which compared to Knockout's was quite plain.

The spymaster didn't say anything, still a mute even posing as a human.

While the mech's use of his holoform intrigued Knockout endlessly that intrigue would not keep him in his prison. There would be time enough for him to question the purple Cybertronian. “Doesn't matter… I'm off.”