e i g h t e e n

Rosie's POV

Work remained the same old same old. The days had passed and it was almost time for our week long break aka the week of the wedding! I was excited, I'm sure it wasn't that different from a normal one back home, but I hadn't been to a wedding in so long. I was finishing cleaning my place when I got a text from Fionn.

Hey I need your help, can you come over anytime soon? Here's my address:____"

I texted back.

Yeah I'll call a cab. Be there soon.

I clicked send and called for a cab. I had their number saved in my phone since I couldn't drive anywhere. I changed into some jeans and a casual shirt and slipped on my vans. I didn't bother doing my makeup or my hair since it was just Fionn's place. I clipped my hair back and walked out to meet the cab. It was raining so I had my raincoat on.

A few minutes later I arrived at Fionn's and I rang the doorbell after running from the rain. He opened up and quickly let me in.

"Looks like it's going to storm." He said as he closed the door behind me.

"It's raining cats and dogs out there." I said taking off my shoes and my jacket, hanging it on a rack by the door. "So what's the problem?" I turned to him.

"I need help choosing a suit."

"A suit?" I asked.

"Yes, for the wedding." I nodded and followed him to his room where he had two suits laid out on his bed. One a classic black suit and tie, the other, a dark navy.

"I'm gonna have to go with the classic black and white." I said picking it up.

"That's what I said, but the boys kept insisting on the navy one. Thought I should ask a woman." He laughed. I set it down and sat on the other end of the bed.

"Do you have a dress?" He asked.

"Yup. Got it last time I was in town." He nodded. Suddenly there was a bright light followed by a loud clap of thunder. I looked out the window and saw pouring rain filling the streets.

"Do you mind if I stay until the storm clears?" I asked.

"Of course. What kind of person would I be to let you go out into that?"

"Thanks." I hoped that the storm would clear soon. I don't think spending alone time with him would help me keep my promise to myself.

"Do you want to watch something until the storm clears?" He asked. I nodded and followed him to the living room. We sat down on the couch and scrolled through netflix.

"We could watch The Notebook?" He suggested. I laughed.

"The Notebook?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"There is nothing wrong with romance!" He defended.

"Fine, but let's make some popcorn first!" I said. He got up and walked into his kitchen, grabbing a bag of popcorn from the cabinet and putting it in the microwave. Once he returned we began the movie.

We watched the movie all the way through, me making comments on how cheesy it was the entire time. Which Fionn returned by shaking his head at me. When it was done I grabbed the empty popcorn bowl and headed to the kitchen to wash it for him. He followed me carrying our glasses that were once filled with soda.

"Do you hate all romantic movies?" He laughed.

"No, just the cheesy love ones."

"What's wrong with love?" He chuckled.

I shrugged. "They make it seem so easy to find, like it exists everywhere." I turned off the faucet and dried the bowl off.

"You're turning 20 soon and you don't believe in love?" He questioned.

"Do you?" I looked at him, his green eyes staring back at me.

"Of course I do." He answered. "Why don't you?" I leaned against the counter and looked down at my feet.

"My luck has been pretty bad when it comes to love." I began, Fionn was now leaning against the counter next to me. "All my past relationships were shit, my last one being the shittiest."

"If you don't mind me asking, why?"

"I found him in bed with my best friend when I came back to visit from college. I realized that he didn't really love me and that he just wanted to get in my pants." I sighed. "I guess when I refused to get with him, he moved on to my best friend." I began to walk away but felt my arm being tugged and I was pulled back. Fionn was now holding my hand and looking at me, empathy in his eyes.

"He seems like a real fucktard." I laughed at his attempt to insult him. "I'd never treat you like that." His face was awfully close to mine, he began to lean in.

"Fionn I told you. I can't." I mumbled, our faces still inches apart. Even though deep down I wanted to.

"Why not?" He whispered to me, his hands now around my waist.

"I just... I just can't. I'm sorry." I pulled out of his grip. "I should go." I said grabbing my purse. The storm had calmed down so I walked to a nearby shop and called a cab from there.

I arrived home and sat on my couch. I thought he felt the same way about staying friends. I knew staying was a bad idea but of course I always mess things up. I needed someone to talk to, I needed Izzy. I quickly sent her a text asking to come over. She replied in an instant, arriving about 15 minutes later. She knocked on my door and let her in.

"What's the matter?" She asked concerned.

"I just came from Fionn's place and I helped him with something, then we watched a movie, then we were talking and before I knew it our faces were inches apart and I didn't know what to do and so I ran out and-" I was talking awfully fast and pacing the room.

"ROSIE!" She yelled, my head shot up and I stopped pacing. "Good, now deep breaths. In and out, in and out." I did as told and took a seat.

"Alright, now tell me. What were you talking about and what actually happened between you two?" She asked. I told her everything from watching The Notebook to talking about my previous relationship.

"Then he told me that he would never treat me like that and he started leaning in and I told him I couldn't and ran out."

"Rosie you have to stop. You can't keep fighting your feelings for this boy. He really likes you." I groaned and put my head in my hands.

"Don't you think I know that?!" I began, "Don't you think that I want to hug him, and kiss him, and be able to hang out alone without being cautious of even touching him."

"Then why-"

"Because Iz, hear my voice, my "accent", I'm American. I live 3000 miles away and if I can't make a relationship work with someone who lives a town over, how can I make it work with someone who lives across an entire ocean?" Tears began to form in my eyes. I didn't want to run, I really didn't. I had to though, and that killed me.