(7) Beginning of a Nightmare.

"I can't believe you're getting engaged today. How did this happen so quickly? My wittle baby is growing up, awe." Ria says trying to lighten up Sahara's mood.

Sahara hasn't cracked a smile all day. She tries really hard to make light of this situation but it just seems to be a nightmare that's lasting longer than it's supposed to. She woke up this morning and spent most of her time reciting the Qur'an after Fajr. It has helped her calm down for the morning bit, but now she feels more nervous.

"I don't want to do this." Sahara finally says.

"Okay, so I already came up with a plan just in case you did decide to not do this. So what we're going to do is–" Ria didn't get to finish her sentence because Sahara starts laughing. "What are you laughing at?" Ria asks.

"Why are you always so ahead of me? I said I didn't want to do this but I am going to do it." Sahara says as she puts on her dangly earrings.

"Oh, Allah! But I came up with a master plan to make you a runaway bride! It's bloody brilliant, I'm telling ya."

This really did help lighten Sahara's mood even though she knew Ria's being serious.

Moments later, her Chachi walks in and stares at Sahara in awe, "You look so beautiful, Mash'Allah. I don't think I've seen you so dressed up before." She rests the scarf that matches with her suit on Sahara's head as she said in Urdu, "Kisi ki nazar na lage (Let no one's evil eye be one you; I'm not sure exactly what the translation in English would be lol)."

Sahara put on a baby pink dress-like shalwar kameez that reaches all the way to the ground. The gold embroidery starts at the shoulders meeting in the middle of the neckline, which parts straight down the middle.  The dress is covered in jewels and gold embroidery. She keeps her jewellery to a minimum and only wears a necklace and long earrings. Her aunt slides a tikka/tikli in the middle parting of Sahara's hair. A tikka/tikli is a form of jewellery, which kind of look like earrings, worn in the middle parting of a Bengali/Indian/Pakistani bride's hair.

"Your mehndi (henna) looks so dark! That's a good sign, right?" Ria says

"Jee (yes), it's a very good sign!" Sahara's Chachi says excitingly.

Sahara gives them a polite smile, not knowing what to say. Her Chachu peaks his head through the door and says, "It's time to make your way out."

They decided to not make this event extravagant and to save that for the nikkah/walimah. Both the groom's side and the bride's side invited few of their closest friends and family. Of course, Mr. Akbar invited his wealthy business partners to this as he wants to show off his future family ties.

As Sahara makes her way to the front, all eyes are set on how beauty. Everyone stands up to greet the soon-to-be bride. Whispers erupts in the room mostly about how lucky Damian is to be marrying such a beautiful gem and some whisper about how this is relationship is a shame.

Damian didn't want this foolish engagement event, yet Mr. Akbar insisted as it would publicize their ties. He didn't invite many people from his own family, only his sister, Viktor and his grandparents. The rest invited by him are business partners and his company stockholders.

As she's taking the steps towards the front, Damian's jaw almost drops. She looks goddamn beautiful, even he couldn't deny that. Her naive eyes sad, yet hopeful. Her steps hesitant, yet graceful. Seeing her look so beautiful just for him, flames a dangerous desire within him. His gaze on her becomes more intense as he notices all the men looking at her hungrily. Mine, almost all mine, he thinks to himself. His own hateful thoughts towards her suddenly contradicting, making him as confused and frustrated as he could get.

As Sahara takes her last step towards him, she gives him her signature sweet smile that could melt an enemy into good. Her smile sets something off inside him, something he can't quite describe. It's something that makes him feel almost instantly better about everything. He didn't like that a simple gesture of hers like that could make him lose control of his thoughts. This should make him hate her more... right?

After a few spiritual words from the commencer of the engagement, they are told to put the rings on each other. Damian was told in advance to make sure he does not make too much physical contact with Sahara as it would be indecent towards their faith because they are not officially married. He did not want to make a scene so he did follow the rules.

When he starts to slide the ring onto her finger, he notices a few dried out and cold cuts on her hand, which makes him raise his brows. Sahara notices his gaze on her scars and she quickly puts her hand down before he could examine any further. After she slides in the ring onto his finger, everyone cheers for them.

As the commencer of the ceremony walks away, Damian tilts forward so his lips would be close enough to her ears and whispers, "You're one step closer to being mine." This sends chills down Sahara's body as she realizes the meaning of this. He's one step closer to making her life into a nightmare. One step closer to spending forever with the man of her nightmares...

However, she knows the nightmare's only going to last until her faith in Allah sets free.

•••

[Sneak Peak of the Next Chapter]

"Listen, mister," She puts up her left hand, "I'm engaged, to be married. Please respect that." Sahara says struggling under this stranger's hold. She's praying that this helps him move off of her. She thinks that he will feel horrible and let her go. What a naive girl.

"Your fiance doesn't have to know to know a single thing, sweetie." His words fill Sahara's mind with disgust.

- - -

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!! // Follow me on Instagram: forbidden.darkness ♥️