⟅Chapter 05⟆ Word Up!

DEVANTE SWING
FEBRUARY 21, 1990

Last month we became known to the world. We wasted no time with the song with Father MC neither are we wasting time becoming acquainted with the music business. I've learned many things from last month that are helping me with this month. I broke up with my girlfriend because she was bitchy. Plus she was loose as hell and I slipped out of her quickly. Natalie and I have became even more close. I've learned things about like that she was a boxer, she was apart of a track team, and she was gymnast growing up, she plays multiple instruments like me, and that she has two siblings like me. She told me how her left hand got slammed in a car door multiple times which is why her fingers looked the way it did. I've told her things about me but not personal things though.

Jodeci has made a name for themselves already, with me doing production, K-Ci and JoJo on the vocals, and Dalvin on the drums and the background vocals along with me joining him on part. An album is already in the works which is going to  be released next year because I know how to make fans wait and have their excitement grow. I seen it through one of my well used to be favorite artist; Prince. Uptown has been treating us okay for now. Andre got us in this apartment that he has other artists living in and it's shitty. I'm thankful because when we came to uptown we were homeless, but this apartment is filthy to the max. Roaches, mice, almost every bug in New York we have. Andre gave us his old car and it's not the best but at least we can get to and from work every morning.

So far the 90's is quite fun. I got to know some of the artists around here like; Heavy D, Father MC, Mary J Blige, this new group called GUY, and Sean aka Puffy. We had little performances due to not having any singles out but it's in the works.

"De!" A voice yelled snapping me out of my thoughts. I turned from the soundboard and looked at Dalvin who had his eyebrows raised even though they're raised high enough already.

"Huh?" I asked him wondering what does he want.

"You good man? You've been quiet for a while" He said and I rolled my eyes. I adjusted my shades and shifted in my seat.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just thinking" I said.

"What are you thinking about" He asked.

"N-nothing." I said and I heard him say yeah right. I don't like people being in my business, it doesn't concern you so why do you wanna know? You feel me?

"So what's the objective for today?" Dalvin asked and my eyebrows rose. Who says objective?

"Well we got to finish some songs to finish. And we have videos to do before we release this album." I said he nodded his head.

NATALIE DAVIS

I walked down the hall way smiling from ear to ear. I had a wig on my straightened hair, my black shades propped up on the bridge of my nose along with a gold nose stud piercing. My long black leather jacket stopped at my knees which flowed as I walked. My legs were covered by my high waisted jeans. My white semi-crop made my chest pop out which received looks from people especially the men in the building but I could care less. My heeled boots click-clacked as I walked into the studio. I sat down on the couch still smiling.

"Yo what's that smell?" I heard Bianka say as she started sniffing and looking around.

"I don't know but it's strong" Princess said and I started giggling.

"Natalie what's so funny? And why do you have a wig on?" Desire asked. I continued to laugh leaving them confused. Bianka came near me and sniffed me.

"Are you high?!" She yelled. I stopped laughing but I continued to smile.

"Where did you get it from?" She asked.

"Can't tell and it's called chronic. I have some on me and you should try it" I said and whipped out a rolled blunt.

"No I don't want any! Do you know what that can do to you?!" She asked as she backed away.

"Yeah. It gets me high!" I said and laughed. She sucked her teeth and shook her head. The other too looked at me in shock. I just shrugged my shoulders and put the blunt back into my pocket.

"I hope you know we have two photo shoots today" Desire said as she rubbed her growing baby bump.

"Duh. We have one for the album cover and one for the cover of word up magazine. Then we have a mini interview in between." I said.

"Well we have to go now. So take off that ugly ass grandma wig and pop some gum into your mouth because I don't want to smell the strong stench of chronic coming from it" Bianka said. Usually I would react to how she was talking to me but I'm too high to do so. I pulled my wig off and placed it into the opposite pocket that doesn't have the chronic in it. As we walked out I turned of the lights and locked the door behind me.

I stood up from the couch and placed one of the silk robes the facility gave us. We finished the album cover and we did a few shots by ourselves. We decided on being dressed in lingerie along with a pair of tights and heels. I looked at the photos and approved of the best quality one. I thanked the photographer and gave him the address of Uptown Records. My personal pictures will be shipped to Jodeci's studio because the day he's shipping them the girls are going to the doctors with Desire except me.

I went to my dressing room and got dressed for the next set of photos. It was a casual theme for Word Up Magazine's cover. My high waisted jeans were supported with a black belt. I wore a black long sleeve turtle neck, my favorite chain which had my name, a gold watch on my right wrist, my favorite leather jacket, and my triangle pointed black boots. I parted my straight hair and placed it into a high ponytail. I walked out the dressing room and over to the wallpaper along with my bandmates. We did our group photos and our personal photos now it's time for the mini interview.

I sat down on the chair infront of the interviewer. It was a dark skin girl who had braids in her hair which was in a ponytail. I smiled at her and waited for it to begin.

"Hello I'm Keisha McCall from Word Up! How are you?" She said shaking my hand.

"I'm great,you?" I asked

"I'm good let's get started with basics!" She said and pressed start on her video camera. She had her pen and notepad ready as well.

"Name?"

"Natalie Davis"

"Age?"

" 21"

"Describe yourself in five words"

"Funny, Smart, Hard Working, Artistic, and Creative"

"Sign?"

"Virgo" I said and she nodded. She finished writing everything down and stopped the camera.

"Thank you for your time. We'll mail you copies of the magazine. Have a nice day!" She said.

"You too" I said getting up and going into my dressing room. I grabbed the outfits that I wore and placed it into a bag that they gave us along with some other things. I flicked off the mirror lights and walked out the dressing room. I walked out the facility saying bye to the workers and into the car meeting the others.

"I used to read Word Up Magazine...."

If you don't get that lyric above we can't be friends.

I skipped a month because I can.