⟅Chapter 23⟆Pain

LATE FEBRUARY 1993
NATALIE DAVIS

Pain. Pain was all I felt for the past month. Not physical, but emotional pain. Because of Jerry, my father. I tried to ease the pain with chronic and liquor, but that shit was no use. He had this sort of power over me, I don't know why, but he does. I called my mom when I saw him at the station with DéVante, she sounded happy. Happy? Happy about a man that was abusing you for months, maybe years? Can't really blame her, that's what happens when you're in love, it makes you oblivious.

Speaking of love, I love Donald like a moth to a light bulb. He was there for me through this phase and I appreciate him for it. We haven't seen each other since he went on tour and I missed him like hell. We talked almost everyday & every night about what ever was on our minds, it didn't matter how early it was, we still picked up the phone.

"Alright, bring the beat in" I told Rahmir, my soundboard mixer. He laid down the beats while I laid down the vocals. I was already working on my next album that wasn't due until 1995. That's how dedicated I am to my career, some of the artists out right now can't say the same. The upcoming album will have a lot of emotion, something that I withheld in my debut album as a solo artist.

I stepped out of the booth and listened to my new song titled, Don't Touch Me. To keep the meaning of the song short, it's about abuse & fighting back from the abuse. I wanted this album to not only relate to myself but to other people who can relate. "Play that last part back one more time" I asked Rahmir, who nodded his head and played it back. I nodded my head along to my voice and gave him a thumbs up, letting him know that the track was good. "Break time, y'all. See y'all at 3:50" I said to my crew, who gathered some of their things, leaving the studio.

Grabbing a pencil and my songbook, I began to check off the songs already done for the album, before writing thinking of the lyrics for the next couple. Interrupting my thought process, my beeper beeped. I un-clipped it from my belt loop and read the numbers 553. It was my baby. I walked over to the studio's wall phone and dialed his number. I patiently waited for him to pick up, and when he did butterflies immediately swarmed my stomach.

"Ya ass in that studio again, huh?" He joked and I smiled, hard. "You know me so well, and I bet if you were here right now you'd be doing the same" I replied. "Nawl, I'll probably be tryna get in them gu–'Boy! You nasty'" I cut him off causing him to chuckle. "Girl, quit acting like you wouldn't want me to tear that ass up on ya studio couch" He told me and I blushed. He was absolutely right. "Boy! What you want?!" I asked him, changing the subject. He sighed, "I called to check on you Nat. How are you?". I bit my lip and looked down at my crooked fingers, "I'm fine De, I really am" I lied. I wasn't fine, I'll probably never be until I get some help.

The line went quiet and I knew he I was lying. "Okay Natalie....I'll call you later. I love you" And before I could respond he hung up. I sighed and hung up the phone, I was pushing away the one I love because of my fucking father. I pulled out a pre-rolled joint and lit it. I inhaled and exhaled, while I grabbed my flask and proceeded to open it. Back to my daily routine to get rid of the pain.

DEVANTE SWING

I didn't mean to hang up on her like that. I know she's going through something, and I want to be there for her if she would just let me. "Yo De! Hurry up man, it's your turn to go!" Dalvin yelled and waved me over. I sighed and flipped my phone off and joined the guys. We were playing spades with a few others on the tour. We were touring with Mary J, Heavy D & The Boyz, a few others. "What took you so long man?" K-Ci asked me while I placed a card down. Nosey motherfucker. "Had to check on up on a few things" I simply said, he ain't gotta know OUR business. "Damn, Natalie got you whipped. Couldn't be me checking up on my bit–" K-Ci continued but quickly stopped when he realized Mary was in the room.

"Mhm, finish that sentence. I dare you" She warned while holding up her cards. Here they go again. "Man, don't start yo shit!" He replied. I sucked my teeth, while the rest of them groaned and put down their cards. They were gonna be at it all night. "Y'all want sumn to eat?" Joel asked while we left them in the hotel room.  "Yeah, anyone want Chinese?"

Short, but I'm back at it! Unknown all 2020!